Replacing tips and guides

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by wet line, Jan 19, 2004.

1. wet line

wet line New Member

How does one replace worn guides and rod tips when the old ones are epoxied? Shaving off epoxy coated wraps seems to be a little risky.

Dave

2. wrench

wrench Member

Slice along the foot of the guide, and the thread will peal off. Then use a heat gun, not sure if a hair dryer will get hot enough, the epoxy will soften as it gets hot, and you will be able to scrape a lot more off with your fingernail. Someone probably knows a better tool for this, but heck, I use my Fingernail. I use a razor blake on the really thick stuff. The last litte bit can buffed off, I use a dremel tool with the littel white buffing wheel, again, keep the epoxy hot. I do this on my own stuff, not for anybody else, and am not too picky about it (can't see that good anymore anyway, what do I care?) but this will remover 98% of the old stuff. Good luck!

3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Of the two rods I have repaired both were easy to remove the epoxy. Once the thread pulls off, most of the epoxy came with it. What remained, I scraped off with a plastic scraper. I was careful not to mar the surface, because I'm a picky bastard (just ask the Mrs.) The rod tip will require some careful application of heat. Rod Bond or similar two part epoxy will re-attach a new one.
    Do you have thread and epoxy for the new wraps?

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

4. wet line

wet line New Member

Thank you both for your insights on dealing with epoxy. I have always in the past used the rod bond for setting the tip and cork and rod varnish rather than epoxy for finishing the wraps.
    The only rod I built using the epoxy finish turned out quite nice. However my comfort zone is in the older techniques. But what can you expect from someone who still likes slip rings and cork reel seats and fiberglass rods, lol.

Dave

5. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Media:
    I picked up some 5 min epoxy last time i was up Fibre-lay if you want. Stop by or call me

6. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Don't use Rod Bond on the tip, it may give trouble removing it. 5-minute epoxy will breakdown when heated with a lighter Rod Bond may be testier.

Rob

7. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Media:
    The sticks for ice cream bars, etc. also work great as non marring scrapers to buff the last of the epoxy off. You can toss then when you are done unlike your finger nails.