Report: MA9 8/14

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by DKL, Aug 14, 2013.

1. DKL

DKL Nude to the board

Slow in the morning but it appeared to improve mid afternoon. Wonder if the rain had an impact. I was 0 for 3 myself. First two hit me when I only had about 10 ft of fly line out. Both came up with a good head shake and were off pretty quick. I don't know about the rest of you, but my success rate is pretty low when they hit me that close. I just can't seem to get a good hook set when that happens. Not sure if i can do anything differently in those situations. Third one I just blew, had him on for a while and just couldn't seal the the deal. Looking forward to tomorrow.

DKL

2. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

My dad and I spent the day scouting the west side of Whidbey Island. Typical combat fishing at Bush Point - heard that a decent number of fish were caught from one hour before to one hour after high tide. Went up to Fort Casey and Ebey's Landing - slooooowww. Went to my dad's private beach access around 7pm. Around 8pm started seeing a few pinks rolling and jumping. Had one very solid hit that broke my fly off. Caught 3 bullheads and 2 small crabs. Both crabs were caught when i was fixing a tangle in my line. Fly was on the bottom and they grabbed it with their pinchers. Will go out and try again tomorrow morning.

3. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

Went out at first light - west side of south Whidbey. Saw a few fish jumping. Was about to give it up and go for breakfast when I felt the tugs. This is my first fly rod salmon, so it felt pretty sweet! Going to eat now, then out for more (hopefully) around high tide this afternoon.

CIMG9675.JPG

plaegreid and bigdood like this.
  4. John Weston

John Weston Member

nice going, keep it up.
    Outlaw