Request for help recovering payment or rod from NewTyer1 aka Scott Martin

Discussion in 'Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing' started by Mayfly Aviator, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    Ratings: +522 / 0
    I know you didn't mean it this way, but I'm a Vietnam Vet and I've used my DD214 to get GI Bill benefits and to get health care benefits from the VA. I also use it to get a 10% discount at Lowe's. I initially felt a bit guilty about it, then my brother asked me "How much money did you get paid the first full year you were in the military?" I said, according to my Social Security statement, "$1247.00." He said, "Only an idiot would feel like he was cheating."

Scott's explanation did indeed sound weak. It might be the result of meds, depression, or any number of things. I personally won't judge him based on a forum post.

Trapper
  2. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +344 / 16
    Trapper. You're right I didn't mean it in this manner. There's a difference between using your gi bill or getting medical after your service than trying to influence innocent people to give you goods or cash. Ever posted a topic asking for stuff throwing in your service? I never have or will, I'm sure you feel the same.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
  3. Mayfly Aviator Member

Idaho Falls, ID
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Hey all,

I confirmed that PayPal received a response from Scott to my claim and should have a refund within the next week or so. As to making assumptions or judgements on the seller I'll refrain and just recommend that you all are cognizant in your transactions with this seller and all sellers for that matter. I'd not heard a bad thing about dealing with this seller until I posted this thread, at which point I received multiple PMs from other members who had similar experiences with him. I'll leave this thread up for awareness of potential buyers down the road.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Sam Dixon
    Ed Call likes this.
  4. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    Ratings: +522 / 0
    Nope, I've never used my service like that and nope, I never would. I have asked for donations to help guys in Wounded Warriors and Project Healing Waters. I was able to get donations to buy some Vivarelli reels for soldiers who lost arms, but I had the donors buy the reels directly and mail them to the soldiers.

In case any of you guys out there working with injured Vets is interested, here is the reel.
    http://www.francovivarelli.com/ecommerce/?q=en/node/26

Trapper
  5. IHV2FSH Member

Northern California
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Speaking for myslef, but hoping I'm not alone on this thought, every individual should feel they have the right to take advantage of thier life experiences. If it's owed or available to you, you should take advantage of it without a second thought. In essence, you've earned it. However, it crosses the line when those life experiences are being exploited for the benefit of the individual when it hasn't been earned or isn't owed. And it's particularly offensive when the life experience is a fraud (i.e, panhandlers with cardboard signs saying thier Vietnam Vets when they are not). Not saying fraud is the case here, not at all, that's a strong accusation that requires proof in my book, but just saying... in general.

However, since we don't have a rating system similar to eBay, I feel the powers that be should do something about limiting/restricting/banning one who has a pattern of less than honorable dealings. On other sites I'm a member of, offensive, spiteful, name calling, foul language, or otherwise non-constructive writings will get you banned... and should... IMHO.
  6. Nathan B Love em and Leave em

Bellevue
    Ratings: +108 / 0
    There’s too many holes in his excuses for me to accept the fact that his failure to respond was because of an injury. One of MANY examples is the fact that he posted, not that he was auto logged on but that he posted a comment on a thread......

"I had a similar rod with metal ferrules and they were supposed to have made the rod very stiff and not a very easy to sell because of that fact. "

This post was on April 10th..... 24 days after Sam says he made payment. Sam says he made numerous attempts to see what was going on with the delay of shipment on and before April 10th. There are other holes in his excuses as well, but you only need one to sink a ship.

Scott from one prior serviceman to another I thank you for your service. However if you really want to clear your name, you should PM the mods some sort of proof. Otherwise I'm afraid, you have discredited yourself far beyond repair on this forum. IMHO.
  7. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +311 / 3
    Scott your facts of the prior incident are not quite right
    I gave you a lot of tying materials partly based on your Disabled vet status. It was not too long after that you were posting many of those same materials on this board for sale. That was certainly bad form.
    I don't know about this current issue but I needed to set the record straight on our dealings.
    jesse
    NutJobRob and Mayfly Aviator like this.
  8. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +283 / 0
    My bullshit filter is getting full on this, real quick.
    rory, Ed Call, bennysbuddy and 3 others like this.
  9. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
    Ratings: +76 / 1
    This little button may help future buyers/sellers

[IMG]

And maybe a good/bad sellers list that is stickied at the top of classifieds, where potential buyers/sellers could quickly search and get feedback from others they've dealt with?
    TwistedChimp likes this.
  10. IHV2FSH Member

Northern California
    The least that should be done is this thread stickied at the top of the classifieds and general forums. The title says it all and at least others can decide for themselves whether they want to assume the risk or not.
  11. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +311 / 3
    Not sure if you meant me, or in general.
    I am done with this topic, I had my say.
    jesse
  12. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +344 / 16
    Yes good eye bigdood. Many don't know where to find this or where its reflected. You can positively or negatively rate a transaction on the classifieds posting itself. This rating is reflected next to your likes count. You can see them on my profile. I think mine has 6 or 7 positive ratings. Its really a great way to give someone a good recommendation or warn others that this might not be the right person to deal with. Just make sure you exhaust all means of repairing the situation with the buyer/seller before posting a negative rating.
    bigdood likes this.
  13. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +573 / 5
    Yup, I do that myself (scrounge up donations for PHWFF). So far we haven't needed those automatic reels. But if you've ever seen Joshua Williams play a fish one handed, it's truly amazing WITHOUT the auto reel. :) And, YES, I'm a begging scrounging do what it takes guy when it comes to getting donations for the program. But all the stuff I get in my hands gets put right into our soldiers hands ASAP.

Yes, we have that positive/negative feedback for sales transactions. Just remember, we have enough to do as it is with this forum (we do this for free mind you), so trying to keep a list of bad sellers is tough. So if you USE the feedback it'll help A LOT!

No, Chris wasn't talking to you. ;)
  14. IHV2FSH Member

Northern California
    Thanks for reminding us that your work is voluntary, I sometimes forget and need reminded. Keep up the good work! :)

Now on to more interesting discussions!
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,236 / 9
    Sam, glad this has come to a resolution. Sorry it took a post like this and so much time and effort.

There are many stories here on WFF from many characters. Some hidden behind anonymous screen names and others more readily identified. The difference between the stories and the bullshit is the character of the man/woman tapping the keys to tell the stories. Proceed with caution.

NewTyer1, I'm unsure of your story but so far I'm not impressed. Good thing for you I'm a nobody. Bad thing is that as a Vet and supporter of other Vets, I'm not pleased with your presentation. I wish you the best.
  16. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    I'm not out to impress anyone. I did wrong, I fixed the problem and now it's over. I'm sorry it worked out this way, I certainly did not intent to have this turn out this way. Again I appoligize, not much more I can do at this point.
    John Hicks likes this.
  17. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +283 / 0
    I absolutely did not mean you.
  18. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    i think time this thread was locked, or deleted or whatever...continuing it beyond the resolution that has occurred is pointless
    Alosa and McNasty like this.
  19. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +573 / 5
    Not quite yet. Just got some news from PHWFF I need to verify.
  20. cebe New Member

cleveland, ohio
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Glad I found this. Thanks for posting, I needed to contact Scott regarding another sale.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.