Resident coho answer amphipods dinner bell

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +277 / 0
    Since the sea-run cutthroat fishing is starting to slow down, I decided to go fishing yesterday for resident coho during a nice ebb tide. For the first 2 1/2 hours the fishing was a bust as I saw only two jumpers. However, I was encouraged to see bonaparte and common sea gulls sitting on the water surface feeding on amphipods. I stopped my boat and could see some reddish/brown amphipods(1/16 to 1/8 inch) slowly spinning just below the water surface.

With a food supply of amphipods available there had to be some resident coho somewhere. So I went to a location where amphipods normally get pushed to on ebb tides. Upon arriving at the location a few jumping resident coho were seen with more showing themselves the last 1 hour of the ebb tide. The fish were moving back and forth along the shoreline in 18 to 20 ft. of water along a noticeable bottom break from shallow to deeper water. It was a cat and mouse game to get within casting distance of them which is always fun and challenging. The best strategy was anchor the boat and wait for the resident coho as they moved up and down the shoreline. If the fish would stay put out of casting range for 5 minutes or so, I would move to that area and reanchor. I didn't have any success drifting and casting in towards the shoreline. I prefer to anchor the boat since it is possible to keep a tighter line and better hook set.

About 1/2 hour before the low slack tide the schools of resident coho had moved about 1/2 miles down the beach as the amphipods got pushed by the tidal current. The resident coho were again active in water 18 to 20 feet deep and up to 200 feet from the shoreline. The fishing was excellent through the first 3/4 hour after the start of the flood tide.

The fish at the first location were 11 to 12 inches and 14 to 15 inches at the second location with many more fish landed there than the first location. Photos below show two fish(14 to 15 inches) which were kept for the dinner table and amphipods which were stuffed into their stomachs by the thousands.

The pattern of choice was an olive/white tube clouser minnow. I should have tried Jeff's conehead squid pattern as it probably would have worked.

Roger

Attached Files:

2. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    Roger, Dehlia's Grey Ghost that Steve tied at PS Fly last spring has also been a great producer the past few weeks. It's taken blackmouth, coho and cutthroat. Earlier today I thanked Steve for partaking in that demo and I thank you as well. Great stuff!
    Steve Rohrbach likes this.
  3. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    Epic tale
    Sweet footballs!
  4. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,158 / 1
    Those little guys are some of the best eating fish.
    Thanks for the report.
  5. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +465 / 0
    Great report, I enjoyed the detailed info. It's always a bonus to know exactly what they're munching on, one of the advantages of a boat. We had good success a week ago from the beach with about the same size as you ran into, I think our biggest was around 14", if I didn't still have some in the freezer I might of kept a couple myself. Yum!!!
  6. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    Why not try an amphipod pattern with a bead head, or something like a crazy charlie if theyre feeding on amphipods?
    Puget Sound Pimp likes this.
  7. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +250 / 0
    I've succesfully used "Gotcha" patterns, as well as other bonefish flies on resident coho and a blackmouth or two over the years.
  8. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +87 / 8
    Thanks for the report Roger
  9. Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Roger, thanks for another great informative report. Mike Tinder mentioned Delia's Ghost pattern that as Roger says, "It's whats for dinner." I am attaching the handout from my Puget Sound Fly Company demo if anyone is interested in tying Jeff's pattern.

Attached Files:

Richard Torres and Mark Mercer like this.
  10. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +356 / 0
    Roger,
    Here's one of my more effective (and simple) amphipod patterns. Just a bit of dubbing with about 8 strands of orange Krystalflash over the back. Size 16-18 short shank hook.
    DSCF0556.JPG
    Richard Torres and Mark Mercer like this.
  11. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,313 / 0
    Great report Roger, and as usual, great thread title...
  12. Roger Stephens Active Member

I forgot to bring my amphipod pattern fly box so could not fish what the resident coho were feeding on. It didn't matter since the fish were so aggressive. Many years ago I tied an effective of amphipod pattern which is very similar to Preston' s pattern. Both patterns are in Les Johnson's book " Fly-Fishing for Pacific Salmon ll" on page 135 which has photos, materials lists, and how to fish the patterns.

Roger
  13. Roger Stephens Active Member

I thought that you might like the title which is different from the same old boring titles in past threads;).

Roger
  14. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +371 / 0
    Roger,

I look forward to your threads. Always fun to read, and always infused with a good amount of educating for the rest of us. Nice work, and thanks for sharing your trip.

Jason
  15. kylesw Member

Keyport, WA
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Great report! And thanks for sharing the amphipod patterns, I need to add some to my beach box...
  16. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Nothing like searching for your quarry and matching the hatch.
    An excellent post as usual Roger and thank you for sharing it with us.
  17. Puget Sound Pimp Banned or Parked

Ratings: +9 / 0
    Those size Residents taste as good as they fight