Resident Silvers So Sound

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Dick Warnke, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

Federal Way Wa
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Hit a popular South Sound beach today with about a dozen other flyfisherman. Lots of surface activity of small fish but they just would not bite. Did not see one hookup in about 3+ hrs of fishing. One lady flyfisher said she took a small silver earlier in the AM but that was it. Nice calm day for fishing tho, overcast but no wind and a pretty slow tide. A little on the cold side. I know another worthless fish report. But hey, a try is a try.
  2. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +296 / 0
    Pram-man:

What kind of fish activity were you seeing: ex. were the fish mainly dimpling/swirling on the water surface or mostly jumping? What flies were you using?

From my experience, if the resident silvers are mainly dimpling/swirling on the water surface this time of year, they were usually feeding on amphipods(1/16 to 1/8" reddish-brown scud-like criters). These fish can be very spooky and selective. Amphipod and shrimps patterns will usually work well for that type of fish activity. Baitfish patterns are usually not as effective.

If the resident silvers are jumping, they are usually very aggessive fish and will hit almost any pattern.

May the Christmas spirit be with you through this month and carry-over into the next year!

Roger
  3. Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

Federal Way Wa
    Roger, Your right on. Amphipods is what they were feeding on. Myself as well as some of the others out there tryed those patterns as well as some shrimp patterns and they showed no interest. Patterns were probably not small enough. But as you stated, very picky fish. But that's one of the thing keeps us coming back. Good fishing to you.
  4. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +242 / 0
    I wonder if something simpler out of your trout boxes would work better. Something like the GRHE, emerger patterns, or parachutes? Lately I've tried just throwing a stimulator or muddler out there to see what happens(nothing). What parts of the sound are best for resident silvers? Sorry if that was already answered in this thread, but I don't feel much like reading after giving a 45-minute presentation on human organ trafficking.
  5. TomB Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    coolkyle- soft hackles like orange and partridge or white and partridge in a size 16 can often be very effective.
    -T
  6. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +624 / 0
    #6 or #8 Muddler...grease it up and splat it right down on top of em' give er a twitch and then strip like mad.....whhheeeeeeHeeeeee!
  7. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +296 / 0
    Listed below are a fly pattern and technique which has usually worked well for me during the winter when the resident silvers are schooled up feeding on amphipods.

Pattern: R.B. Amphipod

Hook: #12 Tiemco 2457(serendipity nymph) 2X short
    Thread: Maxima ultragreen leader or Nylon
    Tail: White ostrich herl
    Body: SLF Dubbing white(42). Clipped on top and side. Deco Color Marker
    (red) and Softex on top.
    Eyes: Burned nylon leader and black petite glass beads(1.6 grams)

Technique

Dead drift(floating line) this pattern into a feeding school of resident silvers by casting down current or cast off to the side and let the fly swing into the school of fish. You can shake out more line in either case. Once the pattern is into the school of fish, extremely short periodic retrieves can be made.

The small size of the fly and numerous amphipods on the water surface make it difficult to see when a fish strikes this pattern. Thus, most of the time I will use a strike indicator.

Hope that this info. has been helpful!

Roger
  8. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +828 / 1
    If you go to pugetsoundflyfishing.com and look up my "Crazy Plankton" in the archives, you'll find a real effective euphasid pattern.

Leland.
  9. TimHa Member

Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've had great luck using flies from my bonefish boxes in the winter months. A #6-8 White Crazy Charlie on a Gotcha seems to work here as well as the Bahamas during these months.

Tim
  10. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Pink Rubber Worm!
  11. Nick Andrews New Member

Bremerton, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I never really think it matters whats on the end of my line, as long as you get it in front of the fish they will bite.
  12. bugnuts Member

U.P., WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    In my experience, the small resident silvers will "key" on krill/euphasids this time of year way more than amphipods. When I see pods working slowly against the tide making riseforms that appear almost like spring creek trout sipping emergers, I'll go to my krill patterns. They are very sparse and simple, usually tied with white, clear or glow material, and the shape needs to be narrow with short tails. Because the flies are essentially imitating plankton, the retrieve is either dead or dead slow...the key is to make precise casts immediately in front of the approaching pods. Clear intermediate lines and long fluorocarbon leaders help too. :thumb:
  13. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +423 / 0
    Here are a couple of patterns. The euphausid was developed by the late Bob McLaughlin and is tied with pearl crystal chenille (Estaz, Cactus chenille) with tail and antennae of pearl Krystalflash. The chenille fibers are trimmed along the back and allowed to remain full length underneath to represent legs. extra-small black bead chain eyes or plastic dumb bell eyes are used to represent that prominent feature. Its tied on a straight hook because that's the most common atttitude of the real thing while swimming.

My euphausid couldn't be much simpler. Tie it on a scud hook as small as size 16. Dub a cream colored body and tie 8-10 strands of orange Krystalflash over the top. Euphausids are very poor swimmers and are as likely to swim upside-down or sideways as right side up. They paddle their little legs vigorously but don't make much headway, often swimming in small circles.

I fish them both on a floating line with no more action than that provided by tidal currents, just keeping the line tight enough to feel the take.
  14. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Thank you Preston!!! I use similar fly patterns here, and they are great patterns, very successful flys.
  15. Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

Federal Way Wa
    Thanks Preston, Those look great. I am going to tie up a few of each and put them to the test. Will let you know how they work for me!!
  16. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Thanks for the patterns Preston; I was wondering what I was going to fiddle around with this weekend, now I know, tying euphausids.
  17. Blake Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    which size hook is the white crystal chenille fly tied on? thanks.
  18. Preston Active Member

I usually tie it on a 12 but have used 10s and 14s. Most of the euphausids I've seen have been in about that size range.
  19. Preston Active Member

Someone has pointed out to me, via private message, that I got my wires crossed in the descriptoin of those two flies. I must have been distracted when I was writing it. The plastic chenille bug is a euphausid (krill, pink feed) a major diet item for everything from sea birds to baleen whales. The little, dubbing and orange Krystalflash bug is an amphipod. Amphipods do occur in a variety of sizes and colors (including the sand flea commonly found in the wrack along the high tide line). Olive- and purple-colored ones are reportedly common in Puget Sound, but most of those that I've seen have been orange. I thought that I had edited my post to correct it but I must have hit the wrong button. Many apologies for any confusion.