Retrofitting a pontoon

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Vojak, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Vojak

Vojak Member

Hey all,

Just curious if anyone has had any experience retrofitting a pontoon to accomodate our four legged fishing buddies. My pontoon is basically a pretty standard looking thing. Metal frame but no space for my dog to kick back while out on the lake. Any ideas or experiences?

Cheers!
    Vojak

2. PT

PT Physhicist

I've spent quite a bit of time with one or two labs on the back of my Osprey. All you have to do is cut a piece of 1/2 inch plywood for a deck behind your seat. Make sure the plywood fits right up close to your seat to keep the balance of weight toward the middle of your pontoons. Maybe even use a jig saw to form fit the wood kind of wrapping it partially around the back of your seat so the dog can nose up next to you and snap at the fish you're trying to release. That will keep their weight as forward as possible to keep the boat balanced. The plywood will sit on top of the rear part of your frame. Then, in strategic places, drill some 1/2 inch holes in the plywood for some tie wraps to go around the tubing and plywood to hold it in place. Carpet the plywood to give Fido some traction and comfort and you're good to go.

Heck, I take my dog on the rivers with me and he sits between my feet on my moped while I blast back up to my truck on Hwy 2.