Reverse/Backhanded Single Spey Question

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by James Waggoner, Feb 10, 2011.

1. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Thanks Golfman. That's really cool. What's your set up...Is that a full floater? That video has got me thinking summer and the joy of lighters lines, floaters and smaller flys.

I'm currently using a 8/9 intermediate DDC belly cut to 39' (tip and belly length, around 450grains). Peter Charles site is a great source of information, been in my favorites for over a year now. AS far as casting left hand up, I'm not sure I'll ever get there, but who knows... I might as well try right...nothing else to do on the river but cast anyway.
  2. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    I NEVER thought I would learn it but all it takes is to actually do it and keep at it. It will make you a better allaround caster as it makes you think about what you are doing, whereas if you cast well on the right already and just keep casting right hand up you just kind of do it on auto pilot.
  3. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Perhaps, Forrest can post my video up...then you guys can feel free to poke fun, knit-pick or give sound advice. The video quality is pretty good, but the DDC and my black amnesia running line do not show up at all. Pretty much looks like I'm shadow casting on the river. I'll try to get back on the water this evening and work on the Left hand UP thing. I'm kind of left handed anyway so shouldn't be impossible.
  4. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    That's not me but a buddy of mine...fishing some secret water up north...he was trying out my rod, an 11' meiser switch rod with a scandi head and mono leader....the stick at the front is the running line dragging in the current in front of him...he just pulls the whole thing off and flick's it....Bruce knows who he is..and maybe some others will after this years SOR...

I without a doubt totally agree Kruk...left hand up is the way to go...I cast like this vid. and it's fine with shooting heads out to 50' but left hand high is so much better and allows you to do more with longer lines..
  5. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    First year at SOR is the learning curve so Tim will have to take that into consideration but every dog has his day lol!
  6. TimDog New Member

British Columbia
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Hello all, glad to join this cool forum after lurking about for a while. Although I appreciate the votes of confidence, my attendance at SOR this year is so I can learn a few things and get my butt kicked. If I can improve my casting from learning and watching the worlds best casters then I would consider that a winning experience!!!!! There's a big difference between making a big cast in a pond with nobody around and making a big cast with the worlds best watching, the guys who do well in this thing must have nerves of steel! I also look forward to seeing you at our speyclave Bruce, we missed you last year! I've heard your casting is looking awesome as usual, but also that you are reaching some incredible distances. I look forward to annoying you with lots of questions in April!;)
  7. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    damn...dog be slumming to be on here...
  8. TimDog New Member

British Columbia
    Also, I must commiserate with Bruce on learning the left hand up for the single spey and snake roll. With the shorter heads a reverse single can be an effective cast, however with longer lines it seems to me (in my limited long line experience),that it is very difficult to lengthen your stroke as is needed to get those big distances that the great long liners like Bruce, Brian, and those unreal Carron boys achieve. Learning left hand up casting has been very difficult for me but a very rewarding experience as well, it is still very ugly for me but I hope with practice that it will get better
  9. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    Sorry to say Tim I wont be able to be there this year either, it falls on the weekend before SOR and I am flying down from Spokane on Monday night so its kind of a no go time wise for me.......unless you can get Dave to pay for my plane ticket to Van! ha ha ha
    If you have any questions for me just fire away.
  10. TimDog New Member

British Columbia
    Thats a shame Bruce, looks like I will annoy you with many questions between the 10th and 16th then!!!!
  11. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    Better ask now cuz I will be busy practicing lol
  12. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    repost sorry
  13. Hoopa cantreMember

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0

Here is a clip from the video we did the other day of James's Cachanded Single Spey.
  14. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    Video comes up as private
  15. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Bruce and Tim, so what is a long cast for a Reverse single spey?

I'd like to, someday, learn the long line. I suppose my journey should start with "left hand up".
  16. Hoopa cantreMember

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Try the youtube video now. I learned something
  17. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    I really could not tell you what a long cast would be for a reverse, a friend casts in the 130`s with a comp setup doing the reverse single or cachanded single spey but that is an extreme setup and is bested by those that cast lefthand up.
    The video is good I would try using your body more to get the line around the corner without the dip and rising more before the forward cast but you are on the right track!
  18. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Thanks. I'll work on it. On a good day, I can hit almost 100' 5 out of 10' times and 80' pretty regular. I'm not sure a left hand up will make much difference since my normal single spey is as good as my cackhand...but as you said, it will make me a better caster.

Bruce I'll try to get you the whole video so you can see more. I'd like to take advantage of your expertise if you don't mind. I'll pm you the details.
  19. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    i know the "dip" has been mentioned, but i highly advise against a dip, you loose momentum and line speed. a good golf swing is straight forward, no Lee Trevino style needed. i was lucky to fall under the tutelage of Mike K, his number one critique was my dipping:) If Mike says no, no means no! Bruce is correct in that you should use your hips to move the line around.
  20. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    does this mean Kush is practicing a left hand up single?? hahaha j/k .... i can cast longer cackhand then off my right shoulder