Reverse Spider Freshwater

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Dr Bob, May 14, 2013.

1. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

I was admiring James nicely tied reverse spiders and got to thinking about a modified reverse spider pattern for frehwater trout. Has anyone tried this? Perhaps a size 12-14 hook with olive, black or brown body and mallard flank feathers. If you have tried this, how did they do at catching fish?

Dr Bob :)

2. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    no they only work in saltwater, a freshwater fish will sneer at any presentation of a reverse spider.;)

Mark Mercer and Gary Knowels like this.
  3. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

Last summer I was having a heck of a time getting a fish to pay attention to the usual offerings. In desperation I tied on a reverse spider, about a #10, black body with natural duck flank (yellowish white with fine black barring). Suddenly the fish got supper aggressive! Had several strikes during line pickup for another cast. A zero fish morning turned into one of the best days ever on that river. That night I tied up a few more camp side. This was a smallish river in the north cascades.

4. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I`ve done fairly well with them on the Thompson .
    I tie mine with a pheasant church window feather , and a gold ribbed hares ear body .

5. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
  6. Preston

Preston Active Member

Mike Kinney's Reverse Spider was originally developed for sea-run cutthroat in fresh water. It is also found to be attractive by steelhead, resident rainbows, salmon, bull trout and, occasionally, whitefish. A friend of mine tried them in the Kamloops lakes a few years back with good results.

I can't find the source I was looking for but there was a short reference in a book (maybe by Swisher?) to a reverse-hackled caddis pupa pattern (yes, it did look something like a Tankara fly). It was tied on a size 12-14 hook in rather neutral colors.

Terry Bare likes this.
  7. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

I am convinced. Thanks. I am tying a few of these up tonight. I like the idea of a the hare's ear body with ribbing. Without any tail, the reverse spider is similar to a classic soft hackle with the hackles facing forward. I suspect it has more action in moving water.

Dr Bob

Pat Lat likes this.
  8. nailbender

nailbender Active Member

Media:
    I have tied carey specials reversed for lake fishing.Not sure they work any better than standard ties, but they work just as well.

Doug

9. TD

TD Active Member

I've found that a reverse spider with the same color combo as the Dead Chicken works well when trolled behind the boat in stillwaters that have cutthroat. Rainbows have fallen for it too. Try it on an intermediate tip when moving from location to location. You never know....

10. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I tie 'em up in various colors and use 'em for coastal cutts in the tidal creeks, estuaries, and lower rivers upstream from tidewater, as well as the inland saltwater beaches. Its a really effective pattern in pools, "frog water" or slower moving water, and tailouts. I usually don't tie on this pattern for faster, shallow water, since I think that negates its unique hydrodynamics, but I'll fish one there on my way through, if I already have one tied on.

(It's not my usual "go to" pattern for the inland saltwater beach fishing, either, although I've had good luck using a white version along Hood Canal beaches on a couple of occasions).