Reverse Spider?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Steelieblue, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Steelieblue

Steelieblue New Member

Anybody willing to post a pic of a reverse spider for me. Also, how do you guys present the reverse and knudsons to the fishies? Thanks in advance guys.

Regards-

SB

2. pcknshvl

pcknshvl Member

SB,

Search the archives--there was a great pic of a headhead spider posted a few weeks ago.

For retrieve--strip-pause-strip-strip (erratic), twitch on the swing... the idea is to get the reverse hackle to pulsate.

Tom

3. Steelieblue

Steelieblue New Member

Thanks Tom-

I did see Skinny's beadhead a few weeks ago but never did see a reverse version posted. Am I to assume the same pattern with the bead in the ass end and just flip everything else around? Thanks again.

Regards-

SB

4. pcknshvl

pcknshvl Member

Not quite.

The bead and hackle stay in the same place, it's just the hackle that's reversed: tie it so that it lies forward, over the eye of the hook, instead of back along the body.

You can tie the hackle with mallard flank or with those orange pheasant feathers (I forget what they're called).

I just tied up a few, but I can't recall the exact steps I took to sweep the hackle forward and easily tie the whole thing off. Just start messing around with it, I guess.

Good luck!

Tom

5. Preston

Preston Active Member

Sorry, I don't have a picture, I'll see if I can't scan something and send it. The Reversed Spider should be fished across or quartering downstream with with a fairly fast, steady retrieve. Mike Kinney, who developed the pattern, also developed a retrieve which I'll try to describe:

As soon as the fly touches down with the rod pointing slightly down toward the water and with the line gripped against the rod handle with the forefinger, lift the rod tip about two feet, mainly using the wrist. As you drop the rod tip again strip the slack that forms with the left hand; the idea is to keep all slack out of the line throughout the series of movements. Initially it will feel like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time, but quickly comes to feel more natural. The purpose of this technique is to take the fullest advantage of the movement of the Reversed Spider's hackle.

The speed of the retrieve can be varied, but it's important to keep it moving. The idea is to trigger the cutthroat's chase response. With such a quick start to the retrieve, sometimes the fly will not sink immediately but will skitter across the surface for the first few strips; no problem, cutthroat will often smack it as soon as it starts to move, whether it has sunk or not.

Except when fishing in salt water (where I will sometimes use an intermediate-sink line), I always fish the Reversed Spider on a floating line, rarely more than a few inches under the surface of the water. Since sea-run cutthroat are such aggressive fish I question whether it is necessary to get any deeper. I've often had them come up from the bottom in ten to twelve feet of water for the fly.

6. Steelieblue

Steelieblue New Member

thank you very much folks, this gives me a good idea of what i am trying to accomplish. i will let you know how it goes. if you have it a pic would still be great but don't sweat it if you don't. thanks again.

SB

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Preston,
    Thank you for the description of the retrieve.
    I have been using a similar retrieve and finding I hook up a higher percentage of strikes with it, since either the rod tip or the stripping hand is in motion and there is no slack when the fish strikes.
    I've also often had cutthroat hit upon speeding up the retrieve halfway through it...that chase response.
    In one particular deep tidal pool I regularly fish, where the visibility is only about 4 feet, I have found it to be more productive to use a clear-camo sink tip and a weighted fly to get it down to the fish during the high tide. Toward dark, or on the outgoing tide, these same fish will be feeding on or near the surface. On a recent trip, my buddy released two very nice SRCs he took on a dry orange elk-hair caddis, mere inches off a grassy bank, just before dusk.
    I should probably try the reversed spider more, but I seem to be doing fine using the regular version in different colors. But why be satisfied? I'll have to tie up some more reversed versions and see if i can't do even better!

Jimbo}(

8. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Jimbo sounds like the SRC action has been picking up out there from your post. Sounds like the rain of a few weeks ago must have gotten the rivers to start to move again. Glad to hear you have been getting some hook up lately. Hope the law care does not take to much time away from your fishing time. Patrick:rofl

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Do any of you actually have the list on making this fly? A recipe would be nice. I can't seem to find a how to anywhere on one with my net searches. If any have a pic, or a list, would be appreciated.

10. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

schmokin'reel!!!

heres my version of a Kinney spider. Sparse showed me a lil trick to tie off, it gets over the hackle..saw them at Patrick's , and im now tying them the same. the first ones i saw were a little different then this one but i also do another variation with hackle in the back in front of the tail peice for a double hackle spider, watcha think? bhudda:smokin

11. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

schmokin'reel!!!!

i cant post the pic for some reason, but its badass anyways!:smokin bhudda

12. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

SH69,

Yeah, it can't be found on the net as far as I can tell. I searched a while back and it just wasn't listed anywhere. Here is the pattern info from 'Flies of the Northwest':

Hook: #4-8, SALT long (can use a wet fly hook, but it will need to be rinsed if used in the salt)
    Thread: Black 3/0
    Tail: Mallard
    Wing: Mallard
    Body: Black chenille (double wrapped over the tied in butts of the wing and tail)

Alternative colors include red and yellow for the body and yellow wings. I assume that you use a thread that matches the body.

I've actually been meaning to head down to Creekside and have Mike Kinney show me how he ties it. Mine just don't look that good! Now if only I could find that pattern for DD's Cop Car... Anyone??? }(

Bill

13. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

schmokin'reel!!!

Chris, what am i doing wrong, i can see the image on my computer, but when i download it to the site, i cant seem to do it right. i know im doing something totally amateur here. i followeed the directions for upload but .......nothing, im just wasteing your space. HELP:dunno bhudda

14. Jerry Daschofsky

By chance do you have a picture you can share. Looking at the instructions I'm picturing this fly a bit off. Is it actually using mallard, say the flank, as a feather wing? Or do they mean tied in as a collar? Sounds almost like it's a standard spider, except with a tail. At least the spiders I've seen.

A picture would really help. I know Alec Jackson ties one on his video. But don't want to have to buy the video to do a tutorial.

Thanks

15. flybill

There's a picture in the book, but unfortunately I don't have a scanner or digital camera. I'll see if I get one of my friends with one to do it, so if I can it will be a few days minimum. I got the book from the library so you could do the same if you don't want to spend the money. I know the King county library system have at least 4 copies.

The way I've tied it is to strip some of the longer sections of a mallard flank feather off to tie as a tail. The collar is tied like a regualar spider, but is facing towards the eye of the hook. The book calls it a 'reverse, forward tied wing'. The thing that I can't figure out how to tie it off and make it look good without mashing down the collar. Maybe it doesn't really matter. Does that make any sense?

I am going to stop in the store tomorrow and see if I can get Mike to show me how, since he's offered before. When you see the picture you'll see how simple the fly looks!

Bill

16. Jerry Daschofsky

Ahhhhh, ok. Basically a standard spider, but tying in the flank backwards. Ok, I think I can do it. Have a local Tacoma Library down the street. Will check there next week.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Member

Let's see if my luck is better than Bhudda-San's

Obsessed.

18. flybill

Thanks Obsessed, nice picture! Did you tie that one up yourself?

SH69, the picture attached is what is in the book I mentioned with the pattern.

Bill

19. wet line

wet line New Member

Flies of the Northwest by Inland Fly Fishing Club shows the Knudson Spider with recipe. At least my version does that was printed in 1974. Hope that helps

Dave

20. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

schmokin'reel!!!

now theres a nice Kinney spider:thumb my second retarded attachment is the same fly with yellow body and hackle with a little orange in the tail. nice pic:smokin bhudda