Revolutionary pattern of coho!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by nicoldrysdale, Aug 17, 2002.

1. nicoldrysdale New Member

victoria, bc, canada.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    hey,

It's not often that i think that i've discovered something else no one else knows about (- about twice a day and, of course, it always turns out that i was one of the last to know). Here's the latest.

Got up early for the morning rise along the beach for coho.

I caught 3 salmon grilse very quickly. The native next to me landed a 6lb. coho on a buzz bomb. I observed him while he was cleaning it and asked him if i could examined its stomach contents (if someone paid us to perform an equivalent non fly fishing activity, i think it's fair to conclude that we'd laugh off the absurdity of such a morbid suggestion). The native looked up and said "Good idea!"

The stomach was bursting. I couldn't wait to see if it was shrimp or neeedlefish or both. NOT ONE OF EITHER! Nor a sculpin, nor a surf smelt, nor a squid, in fact, nothing animate at all. Instead, a stone of about 13/4" across slid out from the stomach followed by at least 4 others of various shapes and similiar size. Some crunchy sand and gravel were the only other stomach contents -the appetizer, perhaps.

Now i've seen some strange contents in hatchery trout before but to see a wild, larger than average blueback with numerous stones inside her of such size left me dumbstruck. It seemed impossible that even one of these stones would get passed the throat or that the fish would swallow these while foraging for needlefish.
    Now, it was a female with eggs - perhaps stones are a pregnant coho's equivalent of pickles and ice cream.

As i informed another fishermen, who hadn't seen the event because he was around the bend of the peninsula, i happened to noticed his tackle on a log. There was an open box full of large chartreuse clousers, an array of buzz bombs and spoons, and on his line was a float, a large pencil lead and a huge DEW WORM! He cut short his rave on the coho numbers he'd got on worms in order to appropriate the eggs from the coho which he was convinced would be spectacular on the dead drift.

I left the scene thoroughly convinced that i was the one round the bend!

For reasons i'm sure you'll all understand the colour and pattern of the stones has been omitted. And, yes, there was a prevalent colour and pattern.

Cheers

nic
  2. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +682 / 0
    Oh please,
    Please!
    Tell us the color of the stones.
    Next thing you know
    you will be the inventer of the stonefly.
    Why, in all fairness, honesty,and just plain interest, would you not tell us the "colour of the stones"?
    Most of us readers won't sleep till we know.
  3. nicoldrysdale New Member

victoria, bc, canada.
    Little Stone,

ARE YOU TRYIN' TO TELL ME THERE'S ALREADY A 'STONEFLY' OUT THERE!!??
    Just as i said - i'm always the last to know!

Gee, i thought the colour was irrelevant and used it to parody those fishermen who hoard their secret fly or location. But the way you put it, Little Stone, - the 'colour of the stones' ... well, it seems down right magical - like something out of Lord of the Rings or Monty Python's Holy Grail.

I feel really bad that you'd lose sleep over it and i was just about to let you know. But now i'm losin' sleep..... it's that 'magical' thing... i'm worried that if i tell the world about the 'colour of the stones' i'll piss off some elf and he'll put a snaggin' curse or something just as horrible on me.

Cheers

nic
  4. fishnfella New Member

Grand Coulee, Washington, USA.
    Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

As mature Silvers enter the estuary their stomach contents full of spawn which is increasing in size, they reach a point they can no longer ingest the baitfish they normally eat.

At this point there is often Krill or small Shrimp avaliable. If not they will eat various salt water Tube Worms and "Pile worms" which often attach themselves to gravel. This is WHY you saw what you saw.
    They get the gravel in the process of worming and also that's why the other angler you saw had some luck on "dew worms". The worms are quickly digested and passed, but the rocks are another story....ouch!