Rhea

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by S Fontinalis, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Are these feathers wound like a hackle or fibers cut from the stem and tied in?

2. i have seen them done both ways. also, i have seen patterns that called for tying them into a "dubbing loop" and tying the loop on. I have tied them in in clumps and in a loop, but not personally tyed them in like a palmered hackle

3. I prefer to tie by the clump as it's easier to get the proper spacing, or adjust if you need to. I usually tie on 3 sides too, as I don't think all 4 are necessary and it saves money over time...

4. Moving on to Intruders Eunan?

Scott

5. I hope so :cool:
    We would see some sweet ones!

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  6. both

7. not sure about intruders yet - a bit daunting for me;).

8. I call BS.

Mark Mercer and S Fontinalis like this.
  9. They're coming :)

10. Hey Eunan - how's the Rhea??
    Actually - I'm just bumping this thread.:cool:

11. aint bought any rhea yet! it'll be a while before you see intruders from me.....;)

12. OK - I'd upload some of mine but my picture taking skills are weak at best.
    Good tying!!

13. Never tied using Rhea, but a coworker raised them. One escaped, so I made signs for him to post. He didn't like the signs . . . "Gone - a Rhea"

GAT and S Fontinalis like this.
  14. ok fellas, interest has piqued.

Learn me about intruders....can i tie them on a hook, or are they always on shanks?
    Colors to go for, or good established pattern recommendations would be much appreciated.
    Watched April's video from germany the other day....think i could do it no problems....

Educate me!

15. A guy once showed me, he soaks the whole feather in warm water for quite a while, then trips the feather into 2 and uses it for hackle on our spey flys. I do the same with ostrich herl

S Fontinalis likes this.
  16. looks too easy. i'll get right one it.