ribbed barbless hooks

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Oct 6, 2013.

1. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +960 / 1
  2. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    I wonder how easy they are to remove from one's arm?

I might consider a barbed hook if my plan was to keep a fish, but I doubt it.

After catching a barbed hook in my chin a couple weeks ago I no longer forget to pinch them.
  3. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    Very strange shape, that's for sure. I should think any surface other than smooth and round would enhance hook keeping capability, but I'll stay old school until the evidence is so overwhelming I can no longer resist.
  4. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    Yeah, but you'd think their ad people would learn how to spell "penetration"!
  5. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +401 / 0
    My guess is, that will save one fish on, out of 1000....maybe.
  6. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    Their Japanese. Give them a break, they mess up English at the drop of a hat.
  7. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    I went ahead and fixed that for you old-man-san.
  8. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    Is he going to be graded on the curve?

The Japanese do not normally recognize these nuances in the English language. Maybe OMJ doesn't either.
  9. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Sickle hooks work really well. They have excellent fish holding capabilities.
    At different company, Matzuo used to make some great sickle. I used to use them on all my spinners, spoons and jigs when I gear fished.
    When they changed wire production from Japan to China and their product quality when way down hill.
    SF
  10. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,561 / 0
    Bingo! I don't think they had fly anglers in mind when they came up with the hooks.
  11. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    .... but they would work very nicely as a stinger hook.

Gamakatsu Big River hooks have a very similar sickle design.
    http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks.php?pid=1022

If people ever take off their fly fishing blinders, they've find there are tons of "gear" related products they can incorporate into their small fly fishing world.
    SF
  12. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    Looks to me like it would take as much extra pressure to set them as to remove them. Therefor they basically saw a bigger hole. Therefor there is a bigger hole for the hook to play out of. The concept of the ribs is friction and it applies going both ways. I don't buy it. It's a marketing gimmick.
  13. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    I was thinkin of that Trojan advertisement on T.V., maybe the ribs will make the fish fight more!!!
    Dipnet and triploidjunkie like this.