Rickards

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Nick Clayton, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I recently picked up a copy of Stillwater Presentations and have been reading through it
    Interesting read with lots of good info. One thing I don't understand is that he keeps referencing the fact that when trout are on the bottom in deeper water they generally don't feed much and are hard to catch
    This doesn't make sense to me since I have caught a lot of fish lately fishing just off the bottom with an inidcator. Now I understand midges are available year round but if trout on the bottom are not feeding why is it standard to fish mids a foot off the bottom in deeper water. More to the point how come micro leeches, bunny leeches, nymphs of all sorts etc work so well fished just off the bottom? Even in plenty deep water. Just some thoughts as I read

2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Rickards....

Fish feed there, because that is where the food is. Mids will "stage" there before hatching and that staging can last days if not longer after they hatch from their bloodworm stage. Fish know this so they will cruise these areas. Most food sources for the fish are not sitting in the mid column of the water, they oriented towards some form a structure.

Ira..

3. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Rickards....

That's pretty much been my understanding. Just thought it interesting how many times he mentions in his book that trout on the bottom in deeper water are basically a waste of time to fish for.

Besides, all the biggest sticks live near the bottom.

4. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Rickards....

I think a lot of it comes down to his approach. He wants to fish an intermediate line to big trout that are "finding their groceries" in the shallows. I happen to agree with him that it's a fantastic way to fish, and when that type of bite is happening, his methods are golden . . . but I'll go wherever I need to on the lake to dial in a bite. Another thing is that he spends a lot of time fishing the big, shallow, windy reservoirs in MT, ID, and WY. Those fisheries have their own quirks that don't always translate to the Pacific NW.

My 0.02 . . .

5. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Rickards....

That's pretty much in line with my thoughts. Its clear he has strong opinions and likes to do things his way. That's totally fine, but it certainly made me chuckle when I came across this line in his book....

"Successful stillwater anglers are flexible enough to catch trout the way trout can be caught- and not stubbornly continuing to fish they way they WANT to catch trout."

Oh well, very good read.

6. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Rickards....

Great quote, and one that I have embraced more and more over the last couple of years, and as much as I might hate to admit it, but Rickards methods have increased my catching... Ok to tell the truth it has been Rickards channeled through troutpocket, but nonetheless his methods have changed my game.

7. pond monkey

pond monkey Member

Rickards....

I think that you are spot on about Rickards... and the lakes that he fishes.
    I might add that chironomid fishing (like it or not) is nearly synonymous with the dry line and an indicator.... fortunately it was then later discovered that the dry line/ indie technique is also a great one to use with the b.h.micro leech , scuds, mayflies, worms ect...
    I don't believe he considers himself a chironomid authority.....for that probably best to look to Chan and Rowley.... as BC has so many natural lakes, many of which are fairly deep... and certainly that trout are feeding where the food is found...

8. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Rickards....

Check Denny's patterns and you might not find any chronies. I went to one of his seminars years ago at the Sportsman Show and back then he didn't tout chronies. So, based on that he'd fish the upper portion of the water column.

9. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Rickards....

It has been my understanding that Denny Rickards is based out of Upper Klamath Lake. Not that he doesn't fish other lakes, but he primarily guides on Upper Klamath. As a guide, the name of the game is not gonna be sit there for for hours fishing chronies in 20 ft, or deeper, water. He is gonna want to find fish somewhere he doesn't have to wait five minutes for a size 20 unweighted fly to sink to that depth. Of course, I guess when you read that he says fish in deep water are not feeding, it would depend on ones definition of deep.

10. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Rickards....

There are times when fish will sit on the bottom (in shallow lakes) and not feed.
    Question- How often do fish rest? Where and Why.

11. robl

robl Member

Media:
    Rickards....

Great discussion. Rickards has definately influenced my fishing a lot and I tie and fish his patterns on an intermediate line as a starting go to method because it is exciting and fun. Since I started I've enjoyed fishing lakes more and caught a lot more and bigger fish.

That being said. I know a lot of guys catch fish DEEP with crazy long leaders or super fast sinking lines so I know that fish eat and hang deep. I think he may not fish for them because he prefers fishing other ways. Great observations about the waters he fishes too.

He's certainly got a critical slice of the paradigm for stillwaters but a lot of other great folks have great stuff too that defies some of the Rickards doctrine. And it's ok . . . . . because it's fishin'.

Tight lines.

12. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Rickards....

I do like a lot of his methods and I have enjoed reading through his book. Lots of great information to be found within those pages, most notably for me is the focus on trout behavior and reading the clues a lake provides. Great information.

It's clear Rickards has pretty strong opinions on things, right or wrong. Far be it from me to question his expertise, he is clearly one hell of a fine stillwater fly fisher.

I look at each new techniqe as simply another tool to throw in my tackle box, so to speak. I go fishing because I love to catch fish. I primarily fish stillwaters because that is what I enjoy the most. Since I'm interested in catching fish, I don't believe in limiting myself to any one particular method, but would rather just employ the tactics that are best suited to the conditions I'm fishing. If indicator fishing deep is going to get me fish, then I'm all about it. If casting an intermediate near the shoreline is working, then you better believe I'll be casting and retrieving like nobodies business. I just like catching fish, and am always trying to learn as much as I possibly can that will help me do just that. This book, and the information within, will definitely make me a better stillwater angler.

13. pond monkey

pond monkey Member

Rickards....

I remember reading his first book back when it first came out and I also remember seriously questioning some of his conclusions. I can't think of one thing (insight or principal) that stood out as being anything but real basic at the time.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like he spoke of concentrating on the lakes edges and fishing during low light periods... maybe this was all in the context of catching the "biggest" fish that might be out chasing bait fish.... not sure.
    Thing is most hatches occur from 9-3 or so and they will most likely be out in open water.... and very often the biggest fish and certainly the most are caught during those times....
    Curious as to what of his teachings struck you as being so worthwhile?

Just curious......Paul

14. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Media:
    Rickards....

I've read a lot of books and watched a bunch of videos on catching big fish in stillwaters. My conclusion from all my reading and video watching- Fish waters that have big fish in them.

15. troutpocket

Media:
    Rickards....

PM - I would argue that there is a time and place for "real basic" information. Lakes take some learnin' . . .at least for me it was quite a curve at the beginning.

16. troutpocket

Media:
    Rickards....

Again, nothing wrong with keeping things real basic :)

17. little rod

little rod Member

Rickards....

I've been to his seminar and read his book. What he is talking about is deep water. Fish actively feed in the top 8 feet of the water column. This doesn't mean you can't catch them when they are deep. It is just harder and you have to do more enticing. ...and when he talks about the top 8 feet, if you fish water that is about 10 feet of less just off the bottom you should be more productive. I have caught most of my fish on chronies at 8 to 6 feet. Just saying.

18. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Rickards....

Well my simpleton mind enjoyed reading about trout behavior, different zones of a lake, feeding times, his theories on fly profile ( which I agree a lot with), how to read lake structure and rise forms etc. Its not earth shattering stuff, but is good info that I wasn't born with.

Unfortunately we weren't all born with this innate ability to slay trout in stillwaters and are forced to try to.....learn. it is obvious that you were indeed born with such talent. Unfortunately it appears that great knowledge may have forced other basic human ability out of your head, like how to not appear as a DB on internet forums.

Nick

19. pond monkey

pond monkey Member

Rickards....

You're a really super sensitive guy.... sorry...
    I was being sincere...I read the book 15 years ago and I was just curious if I missed something important....
    What's a DB?

Paul

20. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Rickards....

LOL Sensitive. Perfect.