Rigging Droppers

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Trapper Badovinac, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Gene,
    I most commonly use the system the system you illustrated above, with very few tangles. Two points though:
    1. While this system works quite well when the connection point of the leader and tippet (to the end fly) is a Blood knot - not so well when its a double or triple surgeons.
    2. Just like you allude to below when talking about attaching the leader for the upper fly to to the main leader (as opposed to just using a tag end), its a good idea to use stiffer material for the tippet to the upper fly to avoid tangling with the main leader. I just always utilize the tag end from the upper segment - which is slightly thicker and stiffer than the tippet to the end fly.

2. I usually use a uni knot tied to the bend of the hook of the upper fly. The good part of this system is that you can loosen up the uni knot, slip off the dropper and leave it rigged for next time. By the end of a fishing day i'll usually have half a dozen droppers rigged with uni knots ready to go for next time.

M

triploidjunkie likes this.
  3. Everybody does it different. What works for one doesn't work for another. I try to tie up what is easiest for me. To many steps and with my shakes tends to piss me off. Not everybody has steady hands. Some of us old farts shake like the wind is blowing.

4. You can do that of course. I'm only making suggestions. There's a couple reasons I don't just leave the tag end long.

1) I find tying an 18" tag end unruly.
    2) I'm almost always using a different size and often stiffness of tippet for the dropper. If I've got say 3X going to a #6 hopper pattern and my dropper is a #20 Baetis emerger, that 3X isn't going to work.

I suggest you take the suggestions Gene and I have laid out and think about what works with what you know and your style. Experiment until you find what works for you.

Trapper

5. I use the method in the third illustration with the addition of a non-slip mono loop on the lower fly as well as the upper. I fish stillwaters 90+% of the time and only fish two flies when I'm hanging them vertically under an indicator. My hookups on the top fly have increased greatly since I quit tying my dropper to the hook bend of the upper fly. I also put the larger/heavier bug on the bottom. A big tungsten bead is tangle-bait when rigged as the upper fly.

6. My biggest challenge with this type of rig is the casting. I have to pay extra close attention to the timing of my cast or else I end up with a nasty tangle.

7. Well, we say it works.... we didn't say it was easy :D