Rio DC Striper Line

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jordan Simpson, May 7, 2014.

1. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Just curious as to what peoples thoughts are on this line, and how it is compared to the OB Short. I was thinking of getting the 300grn for my 8wt.

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

2. pbunbury

pbunbury Tights Lines

Media:
    Don't waste your time. The OB Short is a much better line.

3. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    if you're fishing from a boat, get the 350 grain and it is a better sinking line than the OB short.

4. pbunbury

pbunbury Tights Lines

Media:
    my 2 cents, the "translucent running line" on the Striper line is total garbage compared to that on the OB short. I've used both lines from shore and from a boat. After significant use with both lines, the OB short won and I sold all of my Striper lines.

5. Tom Palmer

Tom Palmer Active Member

If not limited to shore and want to get down quickly I like the Rio Custom Outbound in T-14. You dial it in to your rod/casting style (about 28 feet for an 8 weight). But forget about using it from the beach, you'll be snagging staghorns!

If shore, then I too prefer the Outbound Short. It's really a great line with so many sink rates to choose.

6. rotato

rotato Active Member

I like my striper lines
    Caught some nice coho while drifting in swift water in areas 11 / 13
    Gets the fly down fast but not to snaggy if you strip appropriately
    Cheers

7. Chris Bellows

Media:
    interesting, i've never had any issues with the translucent running lines, either on the striper lines or buying the intermediate running lines to go with shooting heads. i haven't fished the most recent striper lines, but the intermediate running lines are imo money for dredging with t-14 or t-17 if you want to avoid some of the issues with mono running lines. i like the OB short for floating line work, but the funniest thing is that the only running line from rio i've ever had issues with happened to be on an outbound short from a couple years ago.

of course the cheapest and most versatile boat line is still a shooting head system with a running line you like, plus rio max heads in floating, intermediate, and a 25-28' chunk of t-14 (for an 8 wt)... and you can always switch to 30' of t-17 and an 11 or 12 wt rod for serious lingcod dredging. either that or have multiple rods rigged onboard so you can quickly take advantage as conditions change.

8. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    I'll be using this as a combination of bucktailing as well as kelp bed casting. I know there isn't such thing as one line to do both, but I will be unable to carry multiple rods due to boat size and space.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

9. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Agree. I have both, and prefer the way the Striper mends when fishing from the boat. From the beach, the 30' head is better. Try one in the way you're going to useit and discount any advice you get here. Especially mine.

10. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Ooutbound short heads are 30ft the Striper heads are 40+......

11. Chris Bellows

Media:
    we're talking about these

[​IMG]

not these

[​IMG]

golfman44 likes this.
  12. Chris Bellows

Media:
    i would seriously look at a shooting head system if you only have one rod. there is nothing worse than seeing salmon blowing up in the kelp and not having a floating line to cast poppers. changing the head takes the same amount of time as changing a sink tip steelheading and you can have 4-5 lines in a head wallet and never be in a situation you are not ready for. the loop-to-loop through the guides takes a bit of getting used to but it is far better than missing out on popper fishing because all you have is a heavy sinking line.