Rio Grand 6wt

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Flyn'dutchman, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flyn'dutchman

Flyn'dutchman Member

Used twice for a couple of hours. Like brand new, no nicks or scratches. Latest model with Agent X. Tip loop still intact. Didn't do anything for the 6wt I was trying it on. GPX is better. $35.00.

2. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    if you dont mind me asking, didnt you know the nymph line is a specialty line and not in the same class making them uncomparable? Surely you didnt buy it for a General Purpose Line, as it is designed to fish what ever type of heavy setup you can muster. It does not fish small dries and does not fish well in delicate situations, but the GPX aint go shit on it when it comes to heavy nymphs. Plus, it floats much better and higher than any SA line and for longer, and you can trust me as I have done extensive testing in this feild.
    This is a sick line that throws heavy, wind resistant flies through anything, so if thats is what youa are looking for pick this up, it is a good idea for a surpreme line.

3. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:

Dan, I'm sticking up for this dude. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see anywhere in the ad where it says the line is a nymph line. From the ad, it's just a standard Rio Grand line.

The SA GPX and the Rio Grand are both advertised as similar lines that address similar circumstances; both lines designed to be general purpose lines that load faster action rods better than standard WF lines.

This person just happens to like SA GPX better than the Rio Grand. It's not bad or good, it's just an opinion. Ford or Chevy, BMW or Mercedes; he just has a preference of one versus the other, after using them. :thumb:

It's a good line for someone who has a faster(er) action rod or who has problems loading their rod when casting, and a good deal if a person likes Rio Grand lines.

4. Flyn'dutchman

Flyn'dutchman Member

Thanks Richard. If this were a nymph line I'd be keeping it. As I said, it doesn't do anything for the rod I intended it for. I just prefer my SA lines.

5. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    So, I really like Rio lines but... every single one that I have bought has broken or cracked/knicked beyond use.

I could see how Dan would love them because he doens't fish quite as much as some owning to the fact that he only fishes MT, but RIO may want to consider changing their coating/core production.

My 8wt nymph line broke when it got snagged on a log, my fault, but due to RIO's great service it was replaced. my next 8wt fared well for 4 months (80 or so trips) but then cracked so badly it became unfishable.

My 5wt nymph line lasted me spring into early summer but I noticed it was so amazingly cracked on the bitteroot that I had to replace it. The kicks in it from normal use are worse than anything.

My deep 7 became snagged (not sure if it was the line or the fly) and as I was walking up the bank to unsnag it and the thing broke, inside the rod guides, so I lost about 70 feet of that as I was using it on a 6wt spey rod for shad.

I would say a common life expectancy for RIO's lines is 50-80 days, which for me, just isn't enough.

I currently have 36 SA fly lines at my house and havn't had an issue with any of them, granted they havnt been fished :rofl:

I think RIO has better lines, but they probably last half as long. Some fly shop owners I have spoken to agree with this, I would be interested to see what others say. Right now SA has more market share than RIO but is loosing some each year as RIO gains.

6. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Andy, I'm not sure that Rio necessarily makes better lines (look at your experiences), but I do think that Rio is very innovative and appears willing to manufacture very specific line designs that would cater to small(er), more specialized markets. I would use the large variety of multi-tip options, spey line options, and shooting head setups that Rio offers that SA does not.

I agree with you in that I prefer the SA over the Rio lines. But, again, it's nice to have options and choices! :thumb:

7. Flyn'dutchman

Flyn'dutchman Member

Now that you guys have successfully turned this add into a discussion forum, is anyone interested in the line or not?

8. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Steve,
    I would be at the end of the month. If you haven't sold it by then, PM me. This month I'm putting all my spare shekels towards a fly fishing trip, otherwise I'd buy it. I already have one and like it.

Jon

9. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    Well, I apologize for the misunderstanding, my fault and I have no excuse whatsoever. But, I do like the rio grand alot myself. I personally believe it is a better line than the GPX, and I have each and have fished them a ton side by side.
    And Zen, considering I fish an average of 4+ days a week from feb through december and plenty in between I think I get plenty of days to fish and test lines, rods, reels, flies... And, I have seen what you do to gear, and I do not believe your gear life expectancy is short because of the gears durability. I treat my gear with care and am very consious of my fly lines and their condition, and as soon as I notice something I make either a repair of clean up which adds great life to all types of gear. I simply thought he was selling a Rio Nymph line, not the grand.

Dutchman, sorry for turning your post into a discussion but it is getting alot of attention. My apologies

10. Kip Robinson

Kip Robinson MissoulaFisher

Still want to sell it? kor@montanadotcom

11. Flyn'dutchman

Flyn'dutchman Member

Line is spoken for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.