Rio Mainstream Sink Tip that doesn't....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by kurtataltos, Nov 13, 2013.

1. kurtataltos Active Member

Los Altos, CA
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    I tried out a new line I acquired, a Rio Mainstream Sink Tip. After about a half hour of experimentation I determined that the sink rate could be measured on a calendar. Weird. I tried casting it after I had thoroughly drowned the line (thinking maybe it needed to be soaked???) The floating section floated great. The "sink tip" sunk about 2 inches in 3-4 minutes with a weighted nymph and fluorocarbon tippet (heavier than water...). It just sat their just under the surface and laughed at me. Ohhhhh welll..... anyone had this problem before? I just returned the Mainstream and am looking for a decent WF6/S3 as the Mainstream really sucked canal water. Argh.
  2. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +350 / 0

Were you fishing in the Great Salt Lake?
  3. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +436 / 0
    I don't know much about the mainstream sink tip line but their higher end ST lines have all been good for me. Mainstream is their budget brand line, not that there is anything wrong with that. I have used the mainstream floaters and they were actually decent lines, probably comparative to the older Ultra 2 Scientific Angler Lines.
  4. kurtataltos Active Member

Los Altos, CA
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    Hummm... no, Davis Lake but the results would have mimicked Salt Lake or Mono Lake. I don't have any flies for brine or seagulls. And, I have no doubt that the Mainstream floating lines float. The float section of the sink tip worked really well. Time to spend some money on a quality line.
  5. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,493 / 2
    Never have tried the Mainstream sink tip, but the standard Streamer Tip line is fantastic. I can't imagine they'd release a "sink tip" line that didn't sink. My guess is it was faulty in some way.
  6. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +365 / 0
    Sounds like a few of my old Cortland dry lines.

I, too, think it's probably faulty.
  7. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +964 / 4
    It's not a hover line is it?
  8. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +685 / 0
    I had that problem with a 4 wt type III sinker (mentioned on another post). Someone suggested washing it with dish detergent to get whatever might be on the surface from the factory. That helped a bit, but it still doesn't sink as fast as it should.

D