Rio new line - Scandi Short VersiTip - compressed

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by yuhina, Aug 27, 2011.

1. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0

Finally arrived! :)
    Well... I am excited to see those line being developed. I have to say it is really fun to cast those short line even on a full length spey rod...
  2. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    This is a most intriguing line and screams take me to the Methow
  3. Speychucker New Member

Mission B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thinking of this line for my 4/5 Meiser switch, but can't find any info on what weights these line will come in.
  4. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    I have no idea about the detail spec of this new line either... maybe it is a 50-grain increment like the Skagit short?
  5. Fat coach New Member

Newman Lake, WA
    The line is 31' - available in 5 weights starting at 320 gr. up to 540.
  6. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 1
    When will these lines be available? Anyone know? I don't see them listed on Rio's web site yet.
  7. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    This looks like it would be a good line to take to Hawai'i and bomb the flats with...
    Now I'm sort of intrigued...
  8. NCL Member

Northern California
    Ratings: +24 / 2
    I emailed Rio and they said the line is coming out September 1st in the following weights:
    #5 320gr
    #6 370gr
    #7 425gr
    #8 485gr
    #9 540gr
  9. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Thanks for the information NCL,
    excellent!!
    Mark
  10. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 1
    I called Rio today and spoke with the customer service Dept. This line will be available the week of Sept 6th.
  11. Fat coach New Member

Newman Lake, WA
    Just received the new RIO Scandi Short VersiTip #7 (425gr). It loads up The Sage TCX 7119-4 and the Redington CPX 1137-4 fantastically. Looks like a fine addition to the line arsenal. Head is 33 ft. and with the four 10ft. tips it should cover most water depths. I give it a thumbs up.
  12. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    What's this line system going to retail for?
  13. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 2
    According to Poppy, MSRP for the Rio Scandi Short VersiTip is $119.95.
  14. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    totally gonna get me one
  15. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    I have one on the way and I'll fish it next week and post a report of what I think of it.
  16. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Cool, Ian
    I would love to read some report!

just realized Airlfo has a very similar product (a bit longer, but similar taper and interchangeable tips). The Tactical Steelhead Line
    description from the Rajeff sport website...

Take the tight loop and casting ease of a Scandi Compact head and couple it to the versatility of a multi-tip line and you have the basis for the Airflo Tactical Steelhead shooting head. To help cut through the wind and to make casting modest sink tips and larger flies easier, the Tactical Steelhead has a larger tip diameter than the Scandi compact. With a smooth front taper and removable floating tip the newest two-hand line from Airflo will convert from a floating line to sink tip better than any existing line. This new head will change the way many people fish.
  17. NCL Member

Northern California
    I am also very interested in your report. I have been looking at that line now for the past two weeks and I am still on the fence if I should purchase or not.
  18. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    I received my Scandi Short VersiTip early last week and finally got a chance to fish fish it last weekend and some during the week. I tried it out on two different rods, the first an Echo 2 12' 4" 7wt Scandi and the second a Diawa 12' UK rated 8/9 traditional action (Diawa rod is the most under rated rod I own). I chose both rods because I use them for same function, tight quarters, and my mood is the only reason why I would pick one rod over another :D.

I had a big fancy writeup half way done but time is thwarting me, so here is the cliff note version. This head is a best of both worlds Skagit/Scandi line, it did very well on both rods mentioned above. It cast really well in tight quarters casting on a smaller river with the type 3 sink tip and a fairly large fly. It also did quite nicely as a dry line with the floating tip and a fairly long leader, 10', for putting down a more delicate presentation or skating flies.

All in all it lives up to the billing from the video and I would recommend getting it for shorter spey or switch rods. I did not get a chance to try it on a single hander as I was using the 8wt head but I can see myself getting the 5/6 to use with my 10' 8wt single hand rod.

Oh, one more note... the primary difference between the Rio Scandi Short and the Ariflo Tactical Steel head is the length and based on that difference I can fish the Tactical Steel head on a 13'6" rod with little trouble but Scandi Short not so great on a 13'6" rod. Yes the scandi short can be fished on a longer rod but to me it would defeat the purpose of the head.

Thank you,

Ian
  19. NCL Member

Northern California
    Oh, one more note... the primary difference between the Rio Scandi Short and the Ariflo Tactical Steel head is the length and based on that difference I can fish the Tactical Steel head on a 13'6" rod with little trouble but Scandi Short not so great on a 13'6" rod. Yes the scandi short can be fished on a longer rod but to me it would defeat the purpose of the head.

Thank you,

Ian[/QUOTE]

Ian,

Thanks for the report, the above quote really helped because I was thinking about fishing this line on a 13 foot rod. What weight line were you fishing?

Mitch
  20. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    I was using the 8wt 485gr head.... and one more note. I decided to get down and dirty fishing for pink salmon and being the purist that I am I was able to turn over an 1/8 ounce jig so this line has some ooomph to it for turning over just about anything.... did I say I fished a jig on a two handed fly rod... um... well... "These are not the droids you are looking for..move along." :D