Rio new line - Scandi Short VersiTip - compressed

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by yuhina, Aug 27, 2011.

1. DoubleL A guy who loves to fish

Oregon & Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Looks like a good line. Airflo has a new shooting head called the Rage that sounds similar to the new Rio line. I have one on the way for my 5126. The Tactical Steelhad line is more like the Delta taper, but in shooting head form and seems to do better on a 13+ rod with a longer stroke - good line and very versatile for fall steelhead.
  2. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +123 / 0
  3. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Thanks for the report! Ian,
    Sounds great!! really love the comparison!

Mark
  4. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Got my 5 weight line last weekend, and finally test it yesterday. In short, this line is caster friendly, actually, I have found the commercial statement from RIO is right "it is impossible to NOT cast well!". A very nice design for short spey rod and switch rod.
    That's said "everyone can cast a scandi head" and that is true for this scandi versi tip line also. the interchangeable tips are just make this line more powerful and caster friendly. I was casting the 5 weight 320 grain line with my 7 weight rod (a very good way to test if the line is sensitive to hand enough) and as I have found this line design is almost perfect to feel the load, preferable for medium and small flies. The short/skinny back taper has put more feel to the caster and easy for caster to load up the rod... It is easy and very smooth to cast into fishing distance. I highly recommend this line.
    Mark

a short clip - 320 grain 5 weight Rio Versitip / with 8-9 ips factory sinktip. the rod is 7 weight 12' ( optimal matched with 480 Skagit short.), but still can feel this line well..
  5. Rick Rod New Member

NJ
    What would you guys recommend for a Beulah Plat. 12'6" 6wt spey rod. Website has it listed for a 400 Scandi and 425 Skagit. Should I go with
    the 370 6wt or the 425 7wt?

Rick
  6. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    For this particular RIO Scandi line. I think both line will work on your rod. It depends on your casting style. If you like to cast the rod more like scandi underhand style, as I show in the video (right off the tip). You will like the 370 6wt. If you like more relax long stroke and sustain anchor style. The 7 wt will work for you. keep in mind though, this line is still a "scandi line", so it is a joy to cast it off the tip and enjoy it on a medium or small fly. If you really need to heck a big heavy fly. I will suggest direct go for Skagit compact. So my choice on your rod would be a 6 wt line.
    Mark
  7. shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

45th Parallel NW Michigan
    Ratings: +23 / 1
    Thanks for the in depth report yuhina. There were a couple of these as demos at our fall 'Speyfest', curtesey of a guy that played significant role in design. They were so popular I never did get the chance to try one all day. Rave reviews from those who did all the way round. Maybe next time..
  8. Rick Rod New Member

NJ
    Mark thanks alot

Rick
  9. pdavis327 New Member

leavenworth, WA
    Tips are included in grain weight as well. 90 grain tips. So 540 grain 9 weight is a 450 grain head. Rio recommended the 9 weight specifically for my 8 weight 11 foot St. Croix Imperial switch. St. Croix actually recommended a 400 grain line for the 8 weight ( I'm assuming they just meant the head), but I took Rio's advice and bumped it up to the 9. Hope I made the right choice, and it doesn't overload!
  10. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +123 / 0
    "Hope I made the right choice, and it doesn't overload!" It shouldn't. All rods have a 'grain range' that can be pretty wide. As long as you're 'inside that number' your rod (one line weight up) will work fine. Where you'll find this of benefit is with larger/heavier/wind resistant flies.

With my two handers (one notable exception being the 3 wt) I've always had the best luck lining my rods in the upper half of that range.