Rio Outbound Short Coldwater Intermediate 8 Weight Line

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by OceanSunfish, Apr 21, 2013.

1. This is a very specific inquiry.

I've been unsucessful in matching up the Rio Outbound Short Intermediate 315 grain #8 line to my current rods to include Sage TCR #8 and other rods.

I tried to use the #9 ROS in 375 grain but it was a bit too much for the #8 rods I own.

Rods I haven't tried are Sage Xi3, Xi2 and Z Axis in #8. I want to consider the TF TiCrX #8 as well.

Anybody out there been successful in matching this line to any rods? I want to keep the application to #8 rods only. To me, the rods change dramatically from #8 to #9 and when casting all day, I prefer the lighter #8.

BTW, I will be tossing good size patterns for striped bass and similar fish. Patterns are deceiver or clouser type anywhere from 2.5 to 4 inches long...... but sparse, not a paint brush.

2. What is happening that you don't feel the #8 line doesn't match well with the rods you have?

In my experience, they cast great when matched with their given line weight. I've noticed that guys used to throwing tight loops sometimes have an issue with them. You really have to open your loop up at least a little and slow down the cast a bit. Pay attention to head location in relation to the tip of your rod. With intermediates you may need to do a water load before letting it fly. And with flies that large you make sure you're not using too long a leader, or it's not going to turn over. You shouldn't have to do a lot of false casting with the short. After you strip in, do a roll cast to straighten out the line and put it on the surface. Haul that fucker back, then let it fly on the forward cast and you should be good.

3. I have the same line in a 6wt. It's certainly different from other lines I've used. I don't think it's as fun as a regular weight forward floater, but it does work well. Flyborg's advice is great. I wish I had read his post right after I bought the line. It took me a while to figure out through trial and error.

Instead of changing rods have you thought of trying one of the other extreme weight forward integrated lines? Wulff Ambush and SA streamer Express might work well.

4. I fish ROS on all my beach rods. My Orvis Hydros and TFO BVK 6 wts both love them and my BVK 8 wt casts forever with it. They are all faster rods, but its only one or two back casts and then shoot. They're my favorite lines by far.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

5. I have that line in 6,7, 8, and 10 and I use the Tropical on 10 and 12 wt. They all cast very well with the correct rod/line match. They do take practice with the rod, however as they are a bit heavier than the normal line for that weight, say a floater or sink tip. Flyborg has the ticket with the initial roll cast and single haul. That's exactly what I do when I cast the lines and I make sure the entire head is just outside the guides so I can shoot the running line. Like I said, it takes practice.

6. I was advised to use an 8wt floater on a helios 8 wt, it did the job okay for distance, but it just felt too heavy. a mate lent me a 6 wt to try, much better but it needed a tad more, bought a 7 wt happy with that. (NICE). steve.

7. Integrated shooting heads lines are a different animal.
    If you plan on making a bunch of false casts with those types of lines, you're likely to be disappointed and worn out rather quickly.
    As Flyborg stated, roll the head out, water haul into your one and only backcast, aim high and let it fly.
    I hear and read a lot of comments about these lines being to heavy for rods. Most modern rods can easily handle being uplined by one line weighs when using shooting head set-ups, some up to three line weights.
    If you're willing to change how you fish them, they are a great tool to have in your line arsenal.

8. Word. They also spey cast very well. I don't like to up-line them as they already are by a pretty good margin.

9. Just tried the 5wt on my ONE 4116. It's not a good match-up. I should have bought the 6wt.

10. Using a 7 wt. Outbound on an 8 wt. and a 6 wt. on a 4 wt. switch makes some sense. The Outbound is a weight and a half and a switch rod is about two wts. heavier than a single hand rod of the same weight so basically the 8 wt. would be underlined by somewhere near a half weight and the switch would have the recommended Outbound for that weight, according to the Rio line charts. The difference would be somewhat imperseptible. That being said, I use an 8 wt. on my 8wt. rod, a 6 wt. on the 6 wt. and either a 6 wt. or a 7 wt. on my 5 wt. switch rod, if that makes sense.

I'll go back to my original thought as to why people overline. It seems to me that it is a psychological thing that if I put a slightly heavier line on my rod that it will perform better and if I use a lighter line, I can get a more delicate presentation. It doesn't make sense to me but if that's what floats your boat then have at it.

11. For overhead casting you are correct (about the 6 weight). If you are going to Spey cast it on the beach, you might try the 7, or a Streamer Express 250.

JesseCFowl likes this.

12. Ya think I lost track of my intial inquiry? Busy summer....

Nonetheless, my frame of mind is back on using subject line and matching rod...

Thanks for insight.

I've been tossing shooting heads for many many years.... thus I know how to adjust casting stroke, etc.

Shortly after my post, I ended up putting the #9 ROS I line on a #9 TCR..... tossing 4 to 6 inch bait fish pattern and worked fine.

I lost track of the size of the pattern used and didn't put enough emphasis on what I was actually fishing, etc. Also, the I Line and Floater are considerably less aero dynamic vs. T14 or even the ROS Type 6. BTW, I used the ROS Type 6 375 grain on the #8 TCR and it works incredibly well.

Thanks.