Rio Outbound

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Mr.E, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Damn! Took a buddy up into an estuary/tidal creek yesterday, looking for searun cutts. We were both planning on using our 4 wts, but I had my 6 wt along with my reel loaded with the Rio Outbound for a backup, as I have seen searuns working schools of baitfish in the estuary before, and I wanted to be prepared to cast a baitfish pattern longer distances if the situatioin arose.
    He had just returned from a trip to Colorado, and hadn't even unpacked his fly fishing duffel. (I can't imagine doing that before going out on another, different kind of trip). He pulls his reel (Scientific Anglers) out of the bottom of his duffel, and the seat is broken...most likely due to gorilla baggage handlers tossing the bag around (we won't chew him out here for letting his reel be in such a dangerous place, as we all make mistakes).
    I was then faced with the choice of letting him use my 6wt setup, or loaning him my 4 wt reel. I loaned him the reel, as I have witnessed him breaking rods before. so I ended up using my 6 wt with the intermediate Rio Outbound for casting and stripping Reversed Spiders for the cutties. The wind came up pretty strong, so I wasn't too bummed using the 6 wt. The one 12" searun I caught even put a good bend in the rod for a bit. It was too sunny, bright, and windy for good fly fishing an exposed tidal creek, but my buddy finally caught a nice 13"er, in spite of the wind having its way with us.
    I was making a cast, and decided I needed a little more line, so stripped some out during a false cast...then decided I needed one more strip to reach my target and *POP* I snapped my running line off with the next strip...wind must have blown a loop of the line around the reel handle (only thing I can figure out) and it popped! Damn! The spot it broke at was only a foot into the running line, and it seemed a bit frayed right there.
    Now I have to splice this thin floating running line. Should I use the braided mono loops? The smaller diameter ones would be the ones I'd have to use. I have spliced lines before, and have whipped the braided mono loops onto the ends of some of my lines and sinktips, so I know how to do this. I don't think I will be swapping heads with this running line, so maybe just a solid splice? The break is only a foot into the running line, so I'm thinking of cutting off that one foot still on the head and making the splice between the head and the running line. Would this be the best way to go?

2. You can certainly use mono loops to splice, if you want to make a looped shooting head setup out of it.

Or, just use the braided line to splice the two pieces together. I did it on a Leviathan, and the juncture goes through the guides just fine, and it's held up under some pretty hard pulling. Make sure the two pieces overlap slightly, and Pliobond over the braid at where the two cut line ends are located (to keep the little ends from popping through while casting or whatever). Nailknot the ends of the splice, Pliobond over them, and you're in business. :beer2:

3. Thanks Richard. I don't think I'm going to be swapping heads. I'll probably just do the straight splice you described.

4. I posted earlier about not enjoying this line, but now that I have used it for four outings, I wouldn't replace it for another. On my first outing, I was conscious that it was a shooting line so I fished it much different. I would only allow about 2"-6" of running line to extend beyond the tip of my rod before I tried to double haul and let the line fly. Now, I have realized that beyond having a much heavier head, it is similar to casting a wf line only, you can easily shoot 20-30 ft of running line without much difficulty. What I do know based on the great wealth of information from this site, is to on my last cast, shoot about 10' of running line on my backcast and then haul as I make my forward cast and release the line with my rod tip pointed much higher than with a wf line. The running line will rip through the guides and send the head flying forward.

What I don't like about this line thus far, is that the running line will begin to dig into my skin on my finger, due to its small dia and leave it bleeding. This can be fixed by gauze and I will remember that next time. Secondly, the running line gets tangled fairly often and you are left fixing a birdsnest upon making your cast.

5. If you are anything like me, if I get to the beach and see any signs of fish as I am setting up, I tend to rush stretching out the running line. Over the last few weeks, what has helped is the night before I strip out and stretch the running line, going through it at least twice 3 ft at a time, and I leave it laid out in loose lines outside on the deck. In the morning, I coil the line in my stripping basket and only wind it on to the reel for the walk to the beach if wearing the basket is out because of the terrain. It doesn't eliminate running line problems but doing this has reduced my frustration with the Outbound. My rod fits into my vehicle, so the line stretching is done with the rod and reel set up. Now, consistently getting long casts out is another matter, but I can no longer blame running line issues (damn!).

Graham