Rio Perception Line?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by golfman44, Jul 24, 2013.

1. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +612 / 0
    My 5 wt could use a new line. I bought the sage vantage outfit and it came with a low end rio line that I have since abused pretty badly via a lot of bad casts since learning to fish.

Obviously the gold and grand have been awesome lines for a while now so I am definitely considering those but the perception just came out and there seems to be a general lack of reviews so far. I'm wondering if any of you have experience with it and how you feel about it.

Thanks
    -Matt
  2. gabe0430 Banned or Parked

Ratings: +31 / 0
    It has a lower head weight than the Gold and the Grand which will make casting more challenging and It cost $10 more too. With all the fast rods now days going with a heavier line seems to be the trend, seems odd they would come out with a line that is lighter. If in doubt you can't go wrong with the Grand.:)
  3. aaron s. New Member

ca
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Golfman, I'm biased but I love the Perception. Great match to a lot of rods but I especially like it on my ONE. Gabe, while the Gold is heavier overall, that's because it's head is 11' longer. At 30 feet the Perception is 150 grains where as the Gold is 146. So in reality they are going to feel very similar in weight when casting.
  4. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    I went with the perception. Should get here by Thursday, will be a big upgrade for me.

Thanks for the help.
  5. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +166 / 0
    All I can say is once you have that first high-end fly line, you will soon have 7 or 8. It's a lot cheaper than rods and almost as much fun.
  6. docstash Member

selah, wa.
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    The largest difference most will notice switching from a stretchy line to a line that does not stretch. Pretty much an instant few feet extra with the same casting stroke due to less stretch and loss of energy to the stretch. Luke found out another instant problem with no stretch last evening, do not set the hook like you are used to with the stretchy lines, bye bye fly and fish on hook set. I experienced the exact same thing this spring in the still water fisheries with the new InTouch line in lakes, do not thing the stretch will save the fish or the fly when setting the hook on hand twist GHE's or especially fast stripped WB's. I know I have been very used to the stretch saving my ass hook sets and have had to change both the speed and the length of the hook set.

Craig
    @redsflyshop.com
    golfman44 likes this.
  7. tridentfly Member

Ratings: +6 / 0

FWIW - I put the Perception on a scale and the total weight of the line was the same as the Grand.
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,411 / 0
    100 bucks for a fly line. Your not cheap are you.
  9. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    I could be wrong but I don't think they have ever been $100. That price range is usually for spey lines and versi tip systems.

Regardless, it was free for me due to a rod being 2 weeks back ordered from a shop (it was on Sage' end really). Also got some 7x tippet and leaders for my 2wt. Oh and a fly box + hat. I'll take it, especially all at the price tag of $0.00.
  10. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    I didn't believe the hype at first but man was I wrong. The last thing I will go cheap on is a line from now on.

I have a nice line on my 8wt and it actually made me a better Caster. Learned to double haul real fast on that shooting head. I still struggle in the wind but we're getting there.
    Lugan and aplTyler like this.
  11. aplTyler Inept Steelheader

The Evergreen State
    Ratings: +86 / 6
    On lines costing $100 - SA's Sharkskin cost $99 when it came out (probably still does) and I'm not a huge fan of that one. Been there, done that.

I have to agree on the point to not skimp in one area... fly line. Crappy line can make a great rod feel/cast like crap. With good line, I think all of my rods seem to preform better. Then again, if you aren't matching a line correctly (weight, taper) to the rod (action, weight, etc) you are still sacrificing performance.

I ordered a Perception line for my 5 wt last weekend. I hope to get it soon and compare it to my SA Textured Trout Stalker. I have a feeling that I'll like the Perception better as it is a bit heavier and should pair to my faster rod a bit better.
    Lugan likes this.
  12. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +678 / 2
    I am all about having the right line for my rods, and I tend to go for the nearly top shelf lines too. I long ago learned the lesson of casting a rod I'd heard rave reviews about, but not liking it until I put the right line on it. A line can make a dramatic difference. Now that I'm old, I've amassed a collection of different line tapers and weights that I just use interchangeably on different rods. I have a spreadsheet that helps me remember what line(s) work with which rod, and what reel each line is on. That may seem over the top (or maybe I have early onset Alzheimer's), but it helps me make sure I grab the right combo on any given day.
    aplTyler likes this.
  13. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Yea hopefully this matches well with my 5wt rod. It should get here later today if the USPS tracking # is reliable. As a side note -- when tying on a new fly line to backing (using my "old" backing thats on the spool now) do you suggest an albright knot or just a loop to loop onto the fly line? Seems that the vast majority of people prefer an albright due to how clean and strong it is but I can't really go wrong with a loop to loop right?

I probably won't have it on the water for a few day as I just got my 2wt rod today finally (the one that was backordered which resulted in me getting all this free shit) so casting the 5wt is on the back burner for now...unless I get an urge to go nymphing.
  14. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    I looked up the price of the line on Rio web site. $89.95 plus tax in Washington makes it damn near 100 bucks.

Where I fish a 30 foot cast is stretching it. I do well with a cheap Rio line($35.00), a Cortland Peach($48.00) and a line from Allen Fly fishing. Paid 12 bucks for it. Just about the best line I have. It sits on my reel for 8 months without being used. I take it out in the summer time and still no memory of coiling. Floats like a cork. If I could get a 3wt like that 4wt, I would buy it in a minute.

Guess I'll have to contact them and ask about it.
    golfman44 and 10incher like this.
  15. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Is there sales tax in Montana? I know Oregon doesn't have any. Lots of places pay it for you too (Red's for example) which is nice.

Regardless I'm glad it was free! Excited to string it on and try it out. My current POS line is barely floating anymore (it actually sinks after a few seconds, even on stillwater).
  16. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    No sales tax, except in St Regis. Don't really understand that either.

Try cleaning your line. it does wonders for your line if it's clean.
  17. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +407 / 0
    Do a loop to loop connection for attaching your backing to line.
  18. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    I've never bought an expensive fly line. I can't even remember the names of the three lines I'm using now. But they are all Cortland and under fifty bucks. One was under twenty!!!

To be fair I'm not steelheading or otherwise doing any competition distance casting. Most of what I fish is small creeks. If I ever do need to throw a fly fifty feet there is no room for a back cast and I'm roll casting. I can't imagine the formula for the old standard "double taper" line is that dynamic from one line to another. I'm just not having any trouble with my casts so far. I think matching the right weight line to a rod is most important for the sort of fishing I do. But...

I'm thinking about using the 9' 7wt for pinks this year. There's just so many options in WF tapers now that I'll probably end up buying a couple of lines to find one that can beat the wind in a pinch, mates well with the rod, turns over the flys I'll throw, etc, etc... It'll be a PITA but once I get this rod rigged for a WF line I may look into some SRC's as well. No trout streams on Whidbey so I need to expand my horizons!
  19. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Can't beat an Outbound Short for beach/pink fishing
    10incher likes this.
  20. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    Thanks! I may start there.