Rio Skagit Flight vs Airflo compact skagit

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Flyn'dutchman, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Two-Hand

Two-Hand New Member

Hey Sothereiwas,

RIO was the company that came out with the first commercially available Skagit Lines about six years ago, it was Airflow and Sci Anglers that followed RIO's lead, not the other way around. That seems pretty original and meaningful.

-TH

2. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    They came out with a block of a line that they obviously put a lot of R&D into. Airflow has put out two great skagit lines since then that actually took some designing and time on the water to produce and rio's answer to that is a Scandinavian/skagit bastard that fills a niche that's hardly ground breaking and does nothing but show they have no imagination.

3. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Rio has done plenty...

No matter what one's opinion of the Flight, no one can deny that Rio has been in the vanguard of two hand line development in the US. They were giving us great lines for two handers in a time when one of the US line company BIG BOYS was telling us that the two hand market wasn't big enough to even warrant their time. That company has been playing catchup in the two hand market every since.

4. attack

attack Member

Rio has done plenty...

you guys are comparing apples and oranges...different lines with different characteristics and different purposes....to turn over a chicken the compact or the regular rio skagit are the way to go...to have slightly more grace the flight may be the answer...

5. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Rio has done plenty...

I'd agree with the statement except for the fact that Rio discontinued the old style Skagit heads. If they wanted it to be apples and oranges, then there would still be an alternative. One can still purchase the full spey skagit body, but it's $99 and with running line that's not exactly the best or most useful.

6. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Rio has done plenty...

I find the Airflo Compact Skagit and the Rio Flight to be quite similar in design so it would be apples to apples

7. NomDeTrout

NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Media:
    Rio has done plenty...

not to mention its not too far fetched to compare the two since they are both skagit lines...marketed as such towards the same demographic.
    i don't see anythign wrong with comparing the two.

8. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    Tell us how you really feel Brad! For the record I hate Rio lines for everything. They break easily, have shitty tapers and are basically half-assed lines with a full ass model price tag.

Just my opinion. If it is worth anything....probably not but , oh well.

9. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

10. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

I can't compare the Rio Skagit Fight to the Airflo Compact Skagit since I've never fished the Compact Skagit, but thought I'd throw in my two cents on the Flight given how many have already ragged on it. I fished a 550 Skagit Flight on two different rods over three days this past weekend - a Sage 9140 and a Sage 7141. I bought the line last week for my 9140, but after a day and a half I switched it over to the 7141 because in my hands that rod is better in windy conditions than the 9140 (and at time we were getting blasted by heavy winds). Most of the time I was fishing a 12 foot tip of T-14. I did not fish any small flies, though I didn't fish any super-huge, heavily weighted Intruder-style flies, either. I fished 4"+ string leeches, smaller (2-3") intruder style flies, Pick-yer-pockets, largish tubes and other stuff. I thought the Flight performed very well, particularly on the 7141. In the right hands, the Flight should have no problem casting most big flies. Since I didn't fish 5-inch Intruders with heavy dumbell eyes, I can't say for sure how the Flight would do with that sort of fly. That said, the last day fishing I strung up the 7141 with my go-to Skagit set up for that rod - a Rio Skagit 550 and a 5' cheater - and with about the same amount of effort was getting another 15-20 feet on my casts fishing the same kind of stuff. For me, that line set-up is the perfect combo with the 7141. Given Poppy's and other comments, I am thinking that going up to a heavier grain weight with the Flight might make for a better match to the 7141. I have a number of Airflo lines (including a couple Delta multi-tip lines and a couple single hand multi-tip lines) and I like them a lot. My experience with their loops, however, has not been as good as it seems others have had. None of the loops on my Rio lines have ever failed. Not the case with my Airflos. No big deal as I just replace the factory loops with my own. I really like Airflo's stuff but thought I would jump to the Flight's defense because it really is a pretty good line - certainly not as bad in my opinion as some of the reviews on this thread would lead you to believe.

11. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    I never doubted it's ability to throw small flies or even moderately sized flies. The issue is about BIG flies. If you need good presentation and tight loops, throw a Skandi setup IMO. If you need to chuck a chicken, use the older style Skagit or an airflo.