Rio Skagit iflight lines?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Bantam, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Bantam Member

seattle
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Ran into a guy on my last trip out the the OP and he had the new rio line and didnt think much of it until I did some research on it. Interesting concept with the last 2/3 being intermediate and the front 1/3 of the line connecting to the running line being floating. Has anyone casted this line? How does this line match up to the original "flight" lines that IMO casted horribly
  2. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    havent cast it, but my first thought when i saw it was, what about floating tips, and especially the hybrid mow's? you'd need 2 heads unless you fished 100% sinktips.
    i'm a big fan of the skagit short.
  3. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +119 / 0
    Glad this thread got a posting; not seen any reference to this line before now. Strongly reminds me a a couple custom cuts I've gotten from Steve Gotshall down here in Medford.
  4. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    I've been thinking about getting one. Airflo has one too and they say it helps present the fly better on those runs that have upwelling currents that can cause a snake effect in your line. Apparently it helps put you in the zone quicker and fishing sooner in the swing. I don't really fish a floater on my skagit head anyway.
  5. Tom Palmer Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    I have the Airflo version and love it. It is shorter than the Rio Flight I usually fish, so it took a bit to get used to the 22' head.
    What I have found so far:
    Pros:
    - Fishes just as advertised. Cuts through the surface and easy to maintain contact with the fly.
    - Swings slow. Make your cast, throw a mend, step and wait... fly really stays down and creeps along to the hang down. Would seem to be improvement over floating skagit (I say would seem because I have yet to catch a steelie this winter on it!)
    - Takes less tip... as you would expect the sinking head requires less tungsten to get down. I am using the 5' iMOW and it covers 90% of the water I fish.
    Cons:
    - Not good in pocket water or runs with lots of obstructions. This is as expected, if you have lots of boulders between you and the fly switch to the floater.
    - Harder to extract in deeper water. If I'm standing in knee deep or less I haven't had any problems lifting it from the water. However if I'm waist deep I really notice it. (rare condition for me)
    - Does require intermediate tips. If you have cheaters, MOW's etc... you will need to expand your tip selection.

I wasn't sure when I bought how I would like... exceeded my expectations and if I lost would immediately replace. I think these lines are here to stay.

Tom
  6. Bantam Member

seattle
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Heres my story... Im now casting a B2x 13'3 7/8 and loving it! I was told to run 25-30gr. lighter since its a intermediate line and run shorter tips, like 8-9ft. I do fish a lot of pockety water too... though I still want a line for lower river fishing

Thanks Tom for your input
  7. danimal Inglorious Twohander

michiana,SW lk mich
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I'm running the airflo compact intermediates -- I really luv em.. They excel at all the above mentioned reasons..

Also are great in wind! Better than a floater--and turn over big narlies better too.

Ya need to leave a bit more overhang of yer running line compared to a longer head--also better stick to load the rod for hail mary casts:cool:

I suggest airflo's suggestion of dropping down 30grains from yer current floater;)
  8. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +823 / 0
    the airflo intermediate skagits run from 20'-24'
    the rio iflights run from 22-23'

not a ton of difference in length. the iflights are shorter than the flights (which run from 22'-31' depending of grain wt)

i plan on fishing one of the new iflights, just haven't been getting out after the winter-runs much this winter.
  9. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +182 / 1
    The full intermediate lines are pretty nice for slowing down that swing. I have been playing around with one for a couple weeks (Thanks Eric Tarcha). It has been a fun line. It does cut down through the surface currents pretty quick. You have to set up your swing mid air or immediately after your land or you are just stuck with what you got. I've also noticed that it hangs up less on the bottom. I'm not quite sure why this is. I do feel my fly occasionally hit bottom but get a lot fewer hang ups than with a floater.
    Steffan Brown likes this.
  10. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Just know that you generally go lighter with those lines. For my MKS I generally fish a conventional Skagit that is 570 grains. When I fish the Skagit compact intermediate I drop to 540 grains.