Rio switch line 7/8

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Evan Virnoche, Sep 5, 2013.

1. so i got this line laying around, can this be casted effectively on an echo tr8136? i know its not the same at the speydicator but i am intrigued has anyone done this?

2. The switch lines are about the worst invention ever (with in the realm of being realistic), the line is meant to be a jack of all trades but they don't overhead, single hand, or two hand cast well.

3. While I don't completely disagree with Ian, I do on one point. They are not the worst invention as they are KILLER bobber lines. He's right, they don't cast overhead, they don't single hand, and I wouldn't ever swing a fly with one, but if you're throwing a bobber and junk, they are the cat's meow. I will also say from personal experience, the Rio switch line is by far the best that's been put out there so far. I don't like the speydicator because it's overlined too much and the switch chucker....well....sucks. The switch line has a longer and head and can be mended from greater distances than the chucker.

4. I guess I skipped the whole nymphing thing because when I'm fishing bobber water I just run my pin due to its overwhelming superiority in all things suspended. I must quantify that I do actually own a Rio Switch line and I pretty well hated it from the get go and if anyone wants it I would give it to them because I would feel guilty selling it.

Brady Burmeister likes this.
  5. to me the Switch Line always behaved like a good double taper. super long head, mends at major distance, as stated great for bobbers, really really sucks for swinging.

6. Had the 4/5 switch line in on 4wt echo and it was Doo Doo Sauce!

7. i had it on my 7 wt swwitch only for bobber fishing, i was thinking putting on my tr8136 for bobber fishing hatch brats on smaller streams

8. I was wondering about this too but the conclusion I have come to is that if you are goning to bobber fish it is best to get a setup designed for it. I was jelous of your 10 ft single hander for nymphing. I think I want to look for something like that now.

9. I prefer my 11 foot switch even more. Its noice to have that extra foot or two on the rod