Rio switch line 7/8

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Evan Virnoche, Sep 5, 2013.

1. so i got this line laying around, can this be casted effectively on an echo tr8136? i know its not the same at the speydicator but i am intrigued has anyone done this?

2. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

The switch lines are about the worst invention ever (with in the realm of being realistic), the line is meant to be a jack of all trades but they don't overhead, single hand, or two hand cast well.

3. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

While I don't completely disagree with Ian, I do on one point. They are not the worst invention as they are KILLER bobber lines. He's right, they don't cast overhead, they don't single hand, and I wouldn't ever swing a fly with one, but if you're throwing a bobber and junk, they are the cat's meow. I will also say from personal experience, the Rio switch line is by far the best that's been put out there so far. I don't like the speydicator because it's overlined too much and the switch chucker....well....sucks. The switch line has a longer and head and can be mended from greater distances than the chucker.

4. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

I guess I skipped the whole nymphing thing because when I'm fishing bobber water I just run my pin due to its overwhelming superiority in all things suspended. I must quantify that I do actually own a Rio Switch line and I pretty well hated it from the get go and if anyone wants it I would give it to them because I would feel guilty selling it.

Brady Burmeister likes this.
  5. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

to me the Switch Line always behaved like a good double taper. super long head, mends at major distance, as stated great for bobbers, really really sucks for swinging.

6. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Had the 4/5 switch line in on 4wt echo and it was Doo Doo Sauce!

7. i had it on my 7 wt swwitch only for bobber fishing, i was thinking putting on my tr8136 for bobber fishing hatch brats on smaller streams

8. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

I was wondering about this too but the conclusion I have come to is that if you are goning to bobber fish it is best to get a setup designed for it. I was jelous of your 10 ft single hander for nymphing. I think I want to look for something like that now.

9. I prefer my 11 foot switch even more. Its noice to have that extra foot or two on the rod