Rio Trout LT Line For My New Redington Classic 4Wt ?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by c1eddy, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I was able to squeeze in a couple hours on a Cascade foothills lake with my new CT 8036 last Friday afternoon before the rain moved in. I introduced it to a bunch of triploid RB stockers and a couple of holdover coastal cutts. This was the first time I'd been out since early September, so I didn't waste valuable fishing time comparing lines, instead grabbing a reel with a SA Mastery Trout WF4F. To me, the rod felt a bit undergunned with the lighter line than with the heftier SA GPX DT4F I'd used a couple times lawn casting it. But your mileage may vary.

K

[​IMG]

Lugan likes this.
  2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Thanks for the line comparison comments. i have to agree that a nice a day is something that is a shame to waste. Better to actually fish, than to mess with lines. That photo says it all. Nice place!
    I got a late start last Friday, and the rain shut me down before I left my driveway. Not so yesterday,though!

I'm going to compare the 3 wt DT line I'm getting with the 4 wt lines that I now have before I purchase anything else.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Anxiously awaiting your results. I need to find lines for my 7'6" 3wt and 9' 4wt CT rods.

4. wichaka

wichaka Active Member

Got a 7'6" 3wt CT a few weeks ago, and wasn't able to get it rigged in time to fish it...so am looking for a line for it as well. Got a 3/4 Drift reel on the way, so hopefully can find a good line to match the rod action.

5. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I'm trying to put together a rod/reel/line combo for a christmas gift. I have a 7'6" 3wt CT and a reel so I'm trying to decide on a line. I have only cast mine with an unknown WF4 wt line in my back yard. I know everyone's different, but the gift is for someone who probably doesn't have line preferences yet. Do you think I'm better off purchasing a 3wt or a 4wt and a FW or a DT? All would be standard taper styles. I'm thinking of just going with a no-name ebay line as I figure he'll want to upgrade to a line of choice before too long, but I'd like to gift it with a line included and it will give him something to compare other lines too.

Thanks!

6. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Another line to consider is the textured (but not sharkskin) SA Trout Stalker. I used it this past season as well as the Rio LT which I've had since release. I found that I preferred the new SA line over the Rio by a wide margin. Just seemed like I had better line control both in the air and on the water. This held for both a Morgan graphite and a Hoffhines bamboo. It's not shown on the SA website but I don't know if that's because it's new or discontinued. If the latter, I'm stocking up...

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Those SA textured Trout Stalker lines are still available, and they come in "willow."

Also, for anyone who is interested, the Cortland Clear Camo intermediate line is still available (just bought one in a 4 wt), even though a sales person in another fly shop told me (last July) that Cortland was going out of business and that this line was no longer available. He was trying to sell me a Rio line, which is mainly what that shop now carries. I haven't been happy with the Rio lines I have purchased and used, and as far as I know, Cortland is still in business. The Clear Camo is still available.

I am happy to be replacing my ever-coiling 4 wt Rio Aqualux that really sucks for casting (it was an OK lake trolling line, though) with the 4 wt Cortland Clear Camo.
    I'm going to cut the head off the Aqualux and use it to make a 4 wt clear intermediate sinktip.