Rio: VersiTip or Not?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Aaron O'Leary, May 17, 2007.

1. Aaron O'Leary The Theory

Ellensburg
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am looking to buy Sage VT2 7130-4 and panning on buying a rio line. I am going to do some summer fishing, but also do a good amount of winter steelheading. I am trying to figure out what line to get. I have a versitip for my single-hand #8 and am not to impressed. I would like know what you think about the lines. I am new to spey fishing. Should I get a Windcuttuer, Skagit, or Midspey line? Tips or not? Thanks a lot. Also, a reel. Would a 3500D be the right size? Sage didn't give any spey line specs.
  2. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I do believe you will really like that rod. For a general spey fishing lineI would buy a WindCutter VersiTip 7/8/9.

As to a reel, I'm not familar with the 3500D. I do know a Lamson Velocity 4 will balance nicely on that rod and hold 175 yds 30# backing with the above line.
  3. freezerburn New Member

Alaska
    For someone who is new to the deuce and spey casting, I would recommend the RIO Skagit line. IMO it is the easiest line to get someone fishing and is ideal for sinktip work. You can even put a floating tip on it. The Windcutter is also a good choice like Red Shed mentioned.

Check out Simon Gawesworth's review of the Sage VT2 7130 http://www.speyborn.com/VT2Review.htm.

For reels, the 3500D would match up well with the rod. I use the 3500D on a Sage Z-Axis 7136 with a RIO Skagit 450. Holds all of the backing you could need.

Good luck.
  4. Aaron O'Leary The Theory

Ellensburg
    This may sound amateur, but I do not know. I have #8 and #10 versitips. Can I put these tips onto the skagit spey? Thanks for the replies.
  5. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Depends on the line. You sure can, but you can't be assured that the grain weights of the lines won't be too heavy in combination with your skagit setup (rod and line). What skagit line do you have?
  6. Aaron O'Leary The Theory

Ellensburg
    I am gonna get a 7/8 Skagit line if I am going to get one. Would the tips work on this line?
  7. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    So your going to have a Skagit 450... What tips do you have exactly? You mentioned a #8 and a #10, but I'm exactly sure what you mean by that. Do you mean a Type 8 tip and Type 10 tip (does such a thing exist?) or do you mean you have a Tip for a 8wt line and a tip for a 10 wt line?

Just as an example I'm currently using a WC 9/10/11 body for a Skagit setup on a switch rod and I use my ~100 grain 8wt Versitip tips for it.... When I used the 10wt tips (I think a 40 grain difference) the rod didn't like it and wouldn't dig the tip up out of the water. Granted I'm not the best caster and I'm sure someone better *could* do it, but it didn't feel right....
  8. Aaron O'Leary The Theory

Ellensburg
    James,

I have a 8wt versitip set with floating, half sink, Then 2 different weighted full sink tips. I also have a 10wt versitip set with a floating, interebiate, and 2 different full sink tips. I am not sure the grains off the top of my head, but they are the tip wallets that came with my 8wt and 10wt versitip lines. Thanks.
  9. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Try 'em both.... But I would think the 8wt tips will work pretty good...
  10. Aaron O'Leary The Theory

Ellensburg
    Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.
  11. pescador do mosca "An under forty victim of fate..arriving too late"

IN
    Hi,
    Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the single handed versi-tip?

Thanks!
  12. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    Like Red Shed, I recommend the Windcutter VersiTip 7/8/9 because you are new to spey casting. This short belly line (it has a 55' long belly) is long enough for you to learn good spey casting technique yet short enough that you won't get frustrated. Also, the 7/8/9 Windcutter will load the rod past it mid-point, which is a good idea for someone new to spey casting since it allows you to better "feel" the rod load and unload. Also, the Windcutter 7/8/9 will work very nicely for floating line work for summer runs. Plus, the VersiTip (what many of us refer to as an nterchangeable tip line) comes with all the line sink rates you need to effectively fish from floating to type 8 all in one package with loops already installed.

Although the Skagit lines are very useful tools, they really are specialty shooting head lines for 2-hand rods. And just as I would not recommend a person new to fly casting go out and get a shooting head (or ST) line to learn how to fly cast, I don't recommend a person new to spey casting get a Skagit line.

You should be able to use 8 wt RIO single-hand VersiTips on a Windcutter 7/8/9, although I am still of the opinion that you would be better off getting the 7/8/9 Windcutter VersiTip spey line for the simple reason that you don't have to worry about cutting the line and putting loops in it to use different tips with it.

And the 3500D reel will work.
  13. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I used my 8wt single handed line Versa tips on my spey rods for years before I finally upgraded to a SA Skagit line recently. I used them with a Rio Midspey (8/9 I think) on my 14' Heritage rod that I had cut for tips and also on a custom Skagit line for my 11'6" Rainshadow spey.

The tips are a bit light, but work well and as long as the rod casts okay with them you'll be able to fish.

The new tips on the SA line are great and cast great on the 12'6" Rainshadow rod that I bought the line for. I assume they'll work great with by longer rod too.

Have fun figuring it out! You can always come up this way and go to one of the Saturday or Sunday Spey events in Carnation or Monroe. Both will give you a chance to try before you buy on the water.

Bill