Article RIP Chris Kyle

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Citori, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +118 / 0
  2. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    RIP Brother.
  3. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Rip thank u to those have served before me and those who will serve after me. Enough said. Slider I don't know if your trying to make a cute comment on gun control or not but I think ur a doosh
    Phil Fravel likes this.
  4. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    Wow, that's both sad and incredible. Makes you think whether that line about "the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" is realistic. I realize I am speculating, and we don't know the circumstances of what happened at that shooting range, but I'll bet the bad guy surprised the good guys and it all happened fast enough that the good guys with guns were dead before they could act. Scary and sad. Rest in peace.
  5. Phil Fravel Friendly

Bonney Lake
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    True Hero, He did put his life on the line for others. Slider292 ura doosh
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  6. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +363 / 1
    Glad it happened in Texas. Death penalty state!
    ribka likes this.
  7. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +683 / 0
    May he rest in peace.
  8. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Roger that

I met Chris and a very down to earth humble guy

Had wife and child

RIP
  9. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +55 / 1
  10. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
  11. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +680 / 5
    This its a sad day. I work with ptsd soldiers on a regular basis. Chris stated his own organization to help them too. I'd love to know what happened.

Slider292 that remark wasn't needed. I don't want Chris' death to be another gun debate. He was an American hero and patriot and should be Treated as such.
    Bill Aubrey and Duane J like this.
  12. Dave Alberts Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Dump it Mr Mod...
  13. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    The "gun" debate I hope will shift over to a focus on mental health issues, and progress further to social health. PTSD is far, far more common than most people would realize, or admit. It is also a program the body/brain run in perpetuity, until someone overcomes the pain or is no longer living. It's not something that can be controlled; attempt of control over the situation makes it worse. There are other mental illnesses that can cause extreme lashing out, but nothing that effects as many people as PTSD.

It's a touchy, touchy subject no doubt. From my perspective, the gun debate is an endless drain of energy for understanding the real ills of our society. That gun didn't kill two people at a gun range because it had a traumatic episode, it was a person who was acting out a situation that they themselves had experienced. It's not an easy thing to understand; the man who pulled the trigger needs legitimate mental help, and ultimately could be healed of the trauma. Those that were killed can't be brought back, and the attempt at creating justice and seeking answers beyond the factually based will create an ever increasing vortex of contempt and violence.

IMO, what is happening around society is a very profound thing for each and every one of us. I fully believe that what we see (for the most part) is a reflection of everything going on inside ourselves, collectively. If we want to see change, we need to be the change we want to see. Being condescending and aggressive in debate will create more condescension, more debate, more fighting.

Kindness and forgiveness are much more important qualities to carry around than the values we espouse.
  14. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +55 / 1
    I hope this thread stays around, not as a "gun" thread, but rather to educate those of us who don't understand PTSD. By doing this we can honor Chris Kyle, and his service both in and out of uniform.
    jimmydub likes this.
  15. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Btw gun debate talk on this thread won't be tolerated from this Point forward.
    dflett68 and Bill Aubrey like this.
  16. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Thank you, and totally agree, Jerry. My post was not intended to create debate or conflict. Having said that, the discussion clearly should include how we repay the debt of honor we incurred when we asked or allowed others to go in harm's way on our behalf. Clearly, that debt remains unpaid.
  17. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    A properly hijacked thread? I like it.

I hope others with knowledge of PTSD come out and talk about it. There are so many negative views out there of people with mental illness, it would be a great to see a change regarding those views.

Tragically, when people get to the place where the gunman did in this situation, they are often subconsciously attempting to recover, but can't break the grip. They are reliving the very experience that traumatized them in the first place, only doing so completely confined to the experiences inside their bodies. The brain and body are not communicating properly, and the brain maps out a solution to escape the stress. The brain can't identify a source of stress causing the intense emotions, and wraps itself up in ever tightening knots. The body becomes hyper-aroused, the brain becomes hyper-anxious, and terrible actions are made.

An example of traumatic re-enactment is probably being played out in Alabama with the hostage situation. The man took the boy prisoner in an ambush, then escaped underground to a confined room. The man is a known Vietnam vet, and has a long history of PTSD. I don't think it's too hard to imagine this guy having been ambushed and taken prisoner (or had a buddy taken prisoner) in one of the vast networks of tunnels that were used heavily by communist forces during the war. If there was a backdrop for the whole thing, it could be played on the same stage without adjusting too many props.

Without treatment, the man has probably been re-traumatized repeatedly because of his inability to escape the moment. That's just more and more really terrible energy being stored up, needing a release. I think I read that he was awaiting trial for shooting at his neighbors over a recent dispute; that was another situation in which he was acting out. He didn't succeed in healing, so it got worse. The next time he lashed out, he killed a man and changed the lives of multiple children on the bus, especially the one he took hostage.

Most important, though, is getting that kid out and getting him and his family/their friends trauma counseling.
  18. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    No worries. I wasn't talking about you. I was going to post about him as well since I work with helping people with ptsd. I know his cause and respect what he was doing. I don't want it tarnished with a gun debate.
    Bill Aubrey and jimmydub like this.
  19. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    10-4, and thank you for your service.

10-7 Chris Kyle
  20. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    If you mean sliders's post, it's already been done. :)