River advice.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Arni Jonsson, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Arni Jonsson Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hello all.

Me and a couple of buddies are travelling from Iceland next fall for some fly-fishing in WA. To get a good heads up, can you reccomend some river's/spot's that are fly-only or simply just great flywaters.

We were up there last fall and had some great days on the North Stilly, and are eager for some more info anyone could share.

Thanks in Advance!
    Arni, Iceland
  2. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    the north stilly in the fall
    sweet
    what was the "fish du jour"
  3. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +791 / 0
    October on the Yakima river is about as good as it gets for trout in Washington. It's not fly only (we have very few fly only rivers; N. Fork Stilly and a small section of the Kalama), but it is catch & release and I've never seen anyone fishing in any other way than by the fly in 15 years of fishing the river.

Last fall was an exceptional year for searun cutthroat trout in the Puget Sound rivers, like the Stilly. I hope it's a sign of things to come, but I suspect it was, in large part, due to the circumstances of the season.

D
  4. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    Welcome to the Forum, Arni; the Yakima canyon would be the first choice for me, since i'm close. Red's Fly Shop will have the most current information on flies for you, and you can base out of Ellensburg. I'd also recommend a trip to Rocky Ford-while most of us hate it, it does have really big fish!
  5. Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    This late summer/early fall, there is predicted to be another huge run of pink salmon to Puget Sound, and they're alot of fun to catch from the beach with a 6 to 8 wt flyrod!
  6. Darryl Pahl Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    If you're from Iceland, I really think you would enjoy the Yakima canyon. I found a lot of similarities between Eastern Washington's expansive basalt flows and what you have in Iceland, although Iceland is definitely x10 more dramatic. October is my favorite time to fish the Yakima - lots of wading opportunities.
  7. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +440 / 1
    if you find yourself in the yak area PM me.
  8. Wilken Member

Hobart, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    I highly recommend the Methow River for that time of year. You can catch large trout and summer steelhead in the same river, the scenery is great and there are some good places to stay in Winthrop and Twisp. The Yak would be my second choice and the Kettle River my third. You can research for the info you need on this site and the net in general. If you end up going to the Methow, make sure to PM me and I'll give you the lowdown on techniques that I use to hookem. There are also some really good lakes to fish at that time but you didn't ask about them so I won't waste a buch of time giving you the lowdown for stillwaters. If you want that info...just ask.
  9. Evan Virnoche Guest

Methow has no fish and sucks
  10. Arni Jonsson Member

Wow! That's fantastic info guys. Thanks very much for that :)

@Jamie Wilson, we were fishing for Steelhead, but only caught one. We did however catch 2 silver's & a Chum. (Completely accidental, rest assured)
  11. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    It's all good. I love fishing the NF but it is a mere shadow of what it was. PM me if you like before you get here - I live in Arlington
  12. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,708 / 0
    Doesn't the Hoko on the OP have a section of fly only water.
  13. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    Yakima River for trout, North Fork Still and Puget Sound beaches for cutthroat trout, pink salmon on the Snohomish and Skykomish Rivers, and Rocky Ford for spring creek fishing are probably your best introductions to Washington State fly fishing in the autumn, as others have stated above.

I'll add another recommendation: Get a guide (or guides) to help you be successful on all of those (except maybe Rocky Ford, which is pretty simple to fish). Maybe you've already thought about this, but it's hard to just arrive at a totally new location with totally new fish species and be successful catching fish. I know if I were going to Iceland, I'd definitely hire a guide.

Maybe others will chime in about which guides to hire for each of those areas, but one place to inquire might be Creekside Angling, a great local fly fishing shop just outside of Seattle. I'm pretty sure they could arrange the whole thing for you: http://www.creeksideangling.com/