River closure

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by skyrise, Jan 3, 2014.

1. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

"Action: Portions of the Cascade and Stillaguamish rivers will be closed to fishing."

check the WDFW web site for areas that will close.

2. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Soon it will be much more efficient to simply list the few that are open.

3. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Makes for a tough gig if you're a guide that focuses on fortson and the cascade.

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

They do this every year in an attempt to save the two worse hatchery programs in the state. The rate of return is abysmal and the programs should be scrapped.

5. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Wow, they usually close the N. fork Nooksack this time of year to collect their hatchery livestock, must be getting a few back this year.

6. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Same story just the next season.
    To call the Stilly even a shell of what it once was is a gross understatement.

7. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

I spent probably $500 in gas driving to and from the stilly these past 5 months. My ROI is questionable.

8. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

Fishing has been real tough on the Stilly for me. This makes some sense. The only steelhead I've managed this season was a skinny, clipped 20" buck. I'm pretty sure that fish just said $%&@ going out to salt water.

9. mine isn't, all natives i caught

10. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Ya you caught mmore than one and they weren't douche bags who broke your rod

11. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

I had a dream....that the hatchery smolt were being out-competed by the wild ones! :)

12. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

always makes me wonder why Tokul creek gets better returns than the Skagit/sky/stilly. other than the fish can rocket through all the slow water from the mouth to fall city. still it makes no sense.

13. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

skyrise -
    For decades the Snohomish system has benefited from the highest steelhead smolt survival rates seen in the Sound. Typically whether good or bad times the Snohomish survivals would be the highest followed by the Skagit with a sharp drop off as one moved further south in the Sound. Have to wonder that it may have something to do with the Snohomish fish having the most direct (quickest??) shot to the ocean. Those smolts leaving the north coast rivers typically have even better survivals so there may be something to that closeness to the ocean.

One thing that confounds the Snohomish system is the cormorant nesting colony found at the mouth of the river. Most of the cormorants leave the Puget Sound region to go to their respective nesting grounds leaving those at the mouth of the Snohomish. One would think that if cormorant predation were a major issue the smolt returns would be lower than average.

Curt

14. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

curt, good info. i thing we all can guess why the stilly has problems. heck with all the slides and such.

15. the_chemist

the_chemist New Member

16. CLO

CLO Boats and cohos

But even after the lowest number of steelhead back in years on the Methow they leave it open...

WDFW- you guys have no credibility in this state.

17. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

It is a sad state of affairs.

18. thank the good lord I fish the Great Lakes for my steelhead. I wonder why the Great Lakes has such phenomenal steelheading with their hatcheries?

19. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

That would be because they aren't steelhead.

20. say what you'd like, but its nice to catch 10 mongoloid fish up to 15 pounds on a nice winter day