Riverside Trash

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chris Johnson, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Yesterday I got up early and went to my favorite run on my home river. It's a good walk down river to said run, on the way I noticed a lot of garbage so I picked some of it up and dropped it in a place I would pass on my way out.
    fished a couple runs and managed 2 bulls in the high teens. I started back and as I neared the small pile of trash I noticed much more, soon I had to much to carry and no bag to use. I found a plastic 1 gallon jug, cut a hole in it to carry my refuse. I got to thinking that I should always carry a bag with me to collect trash. With all the aluminum cans I thought " hey why don't you see how many cans you can pick up on fishing trips and at the end of the year turn them in and see how much you get for it". So 1 year from now I will turn in all my cans and let you know how much I get, If anyone wants to play along you can. If you get more than me I'll buy you dinner. So I'm going to put 2boxes in the back of the truck, 1 for can sand 1 for garbage, if nothing else I'll feel better about myself.

2. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

counted coho redds on chimacum creek yesterday and managed a bag of natty ice and red bull cans. I then got to thinking about how high unemployment is on the peninsula and thought someone with nothing better to do might be able to survive off collecting cans alongside rivers, maybe new opportunity once current job gets boring...

Chris Johnson likes this.
  3. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    That reminds me when me and my friends were little kids, we used to go around asking people for there aluminum cans the day before recycle day. Our parents would drive us up to Zystra recycle up in Lynden, and we would split the money for beer.

jake-e-boy likes this.
  4. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Media:
    I went to the middle fork one year and picked up 10 big black bags of cans. Another time I went to the cedar I picked up a old bike a kiddie pool and three bags of trash. If other people see you care they start picking up too. I always pick up at least a bag full each time I'm out.

Krusty likes this.
  5. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I never understand it when i hike into a mnt lake, which is a good hike most of the time, and find empty beer cans and trash. They make the effort to get the 12oz beer UP there, (which should be warm by then) and they cant take the 1/8 oz empty can back DOWN the hill.

Alot of parents did/do a shitty job rasing their kids. Then those shitty kids do a lousy job raising their kids and the cycle continues.

Alex MacDonald and Krusty like this.
  6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Why is Washington so damn trashy. When I fished there, there was trash no matter where you went to fish. Here in Montana there is hardly any trash. I never see any at the boat launches or the camp sites. I try to contribute to the trash but I just can't seem to make Montana dirty. LOL

Krusty likes this.
  7. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    I always carry a small garbage bag for just such things...it's sad that sometimes in just a short bit of riverbank, it's not big enough, even when I crush the cans down...I figure that if I leave it even a little bit cleaner than when I got there, eventually, it's gotta get better, right?

8. Whip-LASH

Whip-LASH MEOW

Media:
    When I go fishing on a day hike or walking to my favorite river, that’s 10 mins away. I always bring a garbage bag, to clean up after lazy litter bugs. I always find energy drinks, beer cans and fast food wrappers along the banks or on the trail head. I do notice there’s a big difference in garbage amount when it’s easy river bank or lake access. When I travel farther on the trail or river I see less garbage. But, in the end you will find garbage everywhere you travel. For me; I pick up what I can and try to make a difference. ;)

9. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

Nice, Chris!

What if I just pick up all the Rainier cans in my front yard? Does that count?

There's a small stream up here that just gets hammered. Every July, I cart out two to three industrial size garbage bags of other people's crap from there. Idiots!
    Ed

constructeur and Derek Day like this.
  10. Chris Johnson

I probably owe you a dinner already Ed, but hell, I'll buy ya two.

11. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Old Man...I really hate to break it to you...almost nobody lives in Montana (and never did). Next to Alaska and Wyoming, it's the least populated state per square mile. For Christ's sake, it's less filthy with humans than N. Dakota.....which should tell you something. Ain't because Montanans are more dedicated to nature, but rather because so few people simply don't generate as much trash. Same scumbag trash spewing ratio, but there's simply not enough of 'em to be up to the challenge.

KerryS likes this.
  12. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

I blame humpies.

Can't recall many times I've left the river without a few pieces of litter I picked up. Pretty sad when you think about it.

13. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

"I probably owe you a dinner already Ed, but hell, I'll buy ya two."

No way...my turn. Thanks for caring so much about the Nooksack.
    Cheers Bro',
    Ed

constructeur likes this.
  14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I was reading in an article I once wrote that the labels on the beer cans are for cheaper beer the more miles you are, either east or west, from Interstate 5. This scientific study predates the popularity of energy drinks that now often come in aluminum cans.

15. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would love to see Washington enact a law similar to Oregon's where each can or bottle has a 5 cent deposit attached to it. Someone will clean it up for the nickel they get for each can or bottle they pick up. Washington would never do such a thing though because it actually works. Our legislators couldn't bring themselves to do something sensible.

16. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    You have alot of good ideas Kerry. You should run for offic! LOL

17. psycho

psycho Active Member

A walk in the Arizona desert will make you think that Washington is sparkling clean. Eastern California and Arizona deserts are the most trashed places that I have ever seen.:eek:

18. (BigDave)

(BigDave) Member

I always take a bag with me and almost always fill it. Leave it better than you found it.

19. Chris Johnson

I went out this afternoon to the other fork, got two bulls( that seems to be the number these days), picked up a bunch of cans and three bags of garbage that someone had tossed in the bushes and the brush hog exposed. Fuckin pigs!

20. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

For a couple of bucks at Harbor Freight Tools you can buy an "extended hand" tool that makes it a lot easier to pick up stuff along a river bank. I always carry a bag with me. The little tool would make it easier to pick the junk up. However, the last time I walked the Green River I would have needed a dump truck to haul it all out. It's really sad what some people do to our river banks.