rock bass on the jetty

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by sturgeon crazy, Jun 9, 2006.

1. sturgeon crazy Member

vancouver wash.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have always fished the jetty at night and was wondering how many people fished during the day?most of the post on rockbass seem to be out to sea and during daylight hours.ive always looked for a good high slack tide with the least amount of water moving and then go out with lanterns and glo-in-the-dark flies and have done extremely well with this aproach.the lanterns draw in the baitfish and pull the bass out of the rocks and to your feet.this has worked great for getting them to come to the surface and hit a popper,i dont think they feel as threatened.
    whats your expierience?
    sc
  2. Allan H Member

Everett
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Hey Sturgeon,

I've never fished for rock bass, but the description of the way you are doing it sounds like a lot of fun.

Hmm, fishing the beaches at night...no lookie-loos in your backcast, nobody throwing sticks in the water, nobody's dog chasing said sticks in the water, probably plenty of parking...I gotta find me a jetty! :thumb:

Allan
  3. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hey sturgeon, as with my blue shark tips my rockfish tips are based on california experiences. The only difference between day and night fishing on a jetty was the depth. You had to go deeper and stay there during the day. The jettys I fished on were right on the pacific, and some of them were major harbor breakwaters and had depths up to 60 feet. The fish are there, and they are active, just deeper.
  4. sturgeon crazy Member

vancouver wash.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    has anyone played with glow-in-the-dark flies?day/night?its pretty much all i fish except on poppers which will change this summer.i just picked up some glow-in-the-dark paint at michael's craft store.cant wait to give them a try!
    SC
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Wasn't flyfishing, but throwing small #6 flourescent chartreuse "twirl tails" on light spinning gear just after dark on a high tide during a nearly full moon a couple of years ago off the rock jetty surrounding the Westport Boat Basin (can't disclose the exact location of the rock I was standing on). Caught alot of smaller black rockfish, from 6" to 12" long, near the surface. I was retrieving them as close to the rocks as I could without hanging up.

Jimbo
  6. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    used to fish the S jetty at newport,OR like this frequently. the key to this is the dark of the moon and a tide change well after dark. take your coleman lanturn, hike out as far as you dare, work down the riprap close to the water and start your casting. used to use either a simple white or yellow chennile bodied fly with same color tail out of whatever, these fish are not picky.

cool thing about this fishing is you have no idea what will latch on to your fly. once the tide change happens, the water is usually moving way to fast to continue fishing. i would imagine this works on virtually any jetty you wish to hike and fish.