Rock Creek Advice...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mike Garritson, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Mike Garritson

Mike Garritson Member

Headed to Missoula for a bike (motorcycle) club thing, but I've got Sunday and Monday to fish. Planning on camping both nights somewhere on the river. Been watching the reports and flows, which look promising. Tying some salmon and stone flies this week. Any advice for a Rock Creek rookie would be appreciated.

Mike

2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

tie goldens! salmonflies will be gone by the time you get there also tie dome green drake patterns.. I think the best fishing is on the upper end up near philipsburg. but that's just my opinion.

3. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Media:
    Yer hitting the salmonfly hatch just about right......but always have a few goldies..... From Rock Creek Trout Bums
    "Bugs, bugs everywhere...'tis a good time to be on Rock Creek. Did you know that this week-end (Father's Day) it is tradition for the state of MT to offer free fishing? So, even if you don't have a license, you don't need one. Get out there and 'GO FISH'"

For camping I would be on the upper end......If you are riding a motorcycle, come in from the upper end (might still find a lot of ruts and mud)....Be safe.

Most fish will be really tight to the bank if the flows are around 1700...I have not checked lately.

4. Mike Garritson

Mike Garritson Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like I just missed the free fishing. I'll be on my big BMW for this trip...should eat that stuff right up. I'll tie some of all three and see what happens. As far as camping, I was looking at the Bitteroot campground, which is the farthest up. I feel more comfortable leaving my tent vice somewhere along the river.

5. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I like Stoney creek campground myself.... make room for plenty of bug spray,,, with DEET

6. Grayone

Media:
    Stoney Creek has water...the other campground's water is shut off to save money. My buddy that lives at the Sawmill fishing access said yesterday was one of his best days fishing in the last 25 years. Fish size is up(nothing really big) and the rainbows are making a comeback. Eat a few browns, I think it is okay, but check the regs.

7. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

don't tell anyone, not a soul, sjw and or a globug. go tandem with the worm on the bottom. mike w

Grayone likes this.
  8. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    As far as I have heard, the salmonflies are way up there, like 2 hours from Missoula. The golden stone hatch is just about as good, and sometimes they prefer the also great green drake hatch. The creek is still really high, so be careful and focus on fishing close to the bank, where all the fish are.

9. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

Yup. The tighter on the bank, the better.

Sent from my little square phone thingy...

10. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

Salmon flies on the creek are in abundance from MM 15-25, flow is hovering around 1,500 + cfs and I expect it to jump up by the weekend. I have not seen one golden dry flying around as of yet, they should start popping this weekend. In my experience I expect the salmon fly hatch to last into July on the upper end of the creek (often times there's secondary hatches) and goldens to be on the upper end until mid/late July this year. We're still talking about snow right now in higher elevations and the lower end mountains had a pretty good dusting today.

Most of the guys I've talked to say fishing is outstanding right now, there mainly floating the creek but wade fisherman have had good success around Valley of moon, back of elkhorn, spring creek, Salomon, Sawmill, Ranch Creek. Butte Cabin, Cougar creek areas . Those who wade kind of pick and choose the places of easy access. Floating right now has its benefits.

If I wanted to catch fish in bucket loads I would fish a black stonefly nymph size 4 above bitterroot flats in between the hogbacks or use a golden stone nymph on the lower end.

11. Mike Garritson

Mike Garritson Member

Great info! Thanks. Hopefully I can post pics of all the fish I catch.

12. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I think I'd camp further upstream than Bitterroot this time of year. Wading will be tough in these flows in that reach of the Creek, but easier up further. There are plenty of good campgrounds and individual campsites farther up.
    Dick

13. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Give a call (406-825-6146) to Joe and Deb Peltier at Trout Bums, about five miles up the road from I-90. There are a few Forest Service campgrounds on the lower creek too. Last July, the road was so rough that I turned back after 11 miles. But Deb later told me that they'd persuaded the F.S. to find money to regrade the road. Don't know what shape it's in this year.

14. Mike Garritson

Mike Garritson Member

Had a great trip, but found out it thunderstorms just about every afternoon in the summer up in the mountains. Caught a bunch of cutthroat and brown trout in the 8-14 inch range.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Kyle Smith likes this.
  15. Grayone

Media:
    Yep....some of those thunderstorms are dandies....glad you had a good time.

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    It rains in Montana ?????

17. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

The bottom pic is a brown trout , Montana is fly fishing paradise! Glad you enjoyed it.
    Kelly Michelsen

Mike Garritson and rory like this.