Rock Creek Montana, Thanksgiving Day

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Stephen Rice, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

Media:
    Well it was awesome and "Cold" I got into town(Missoula) around 4pm and it was already dark. So I stopped by sportsman's warehouse and picked up my 2 day ticket, and headed out to Rock Creek which was just outside of town. didn't have a problem finding the place. anyway the next morning(thanksgiving day) I got out around 10 oclock and the sun was shining and the weather was brisk, but there was no wind so I warmed up pretty quick, Rock Creek is amazingly easy to wade. I must have hiked 6 miles that day. I had to definitely do some bush wacking to find some fish, you know how a river will split up and have slower spots in which the current runs, well that's were I found the fish. I was just hiking back on this one section way off of the creek and found like 10 Westslopes sitting in one spot. I used a Stonefly with a pheasant tail dropper, I had to walk away at first because they definitely saw me and kinda backed under this little ice ridge, So I squated down moved back in real quite like and dropped in the line and let it just sit there for a couple of seconds and started a little 3-inch strip and bam fish on! he was a little guy about 8 inches but the others scattered so I went back up stream further in up against this rock wall and found another pocket with about 8 more fish sitting there did the same thing and caught the same thing little 8 inch westslope. didn't catch anything else after that, I was hoping for browns, I did get some good hard bumps on the main stretch and LDR'd one which felt pretty damn big but that was it. One of the reasons for going there is to help me determine where the lodge is going, well I can tell you it won't be there, too many lodges there already! The pic's are in my Gallery.

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

Stephen ? .....you had to repost?

3. Stephen Rice

Media:
    what are you asking me?

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

I feel like I only have two brain cells and I just lost one. Didn't you post a report about this trip and we discussed your freezing hand as opposed to two freezing hands. So I was asking did you have to repost your trip? Please don't tell me I'm on a trip.

5. Stephen Rice

Media:
    You almost had me thinking I was going crazy! yeah.. I mentioned it in the Thanksgiving post but I also mentioned I would file a report later :eek: plus I wanted to post the pics too. Okay so we are not loosing our minds after all.

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yes you did (post update)...and you had me concerned (my fault). Happy Holidays Stephen.