Rock Creek

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Jmills81, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    Howdy All

Thought i would throw on a report as my father and I just got back from Rock Creek, MT

We hit the river on Sunday about 12 noon and thank god it was one of the only rivers I could find that had not yet blown out. Clarity was great, but there still is a nice bit of ice shelfs still remaining on the edges. We ended up going up to about mile marker 14, and gave it a go

For the first time i can remember, I caught a fish on my first legit cast. Nice 14 inch brown, and in the next couple hours from this one particular hole dad and I took turns pulling out bows, whitefish and browns.

A word of caution. Those ice shelfs are extremly unstable. One gave way from under my dad, he fell on the good ice, broke his Sage FLI in 3 places, but the chunk that gave way "looked" ok...BE CAREFUL

Finished Sunday fishing lower on the river and found a hole that was just dynamite. The fish were really keyed into the skwala nymph i had (pat's rubber leg stone in olive) and I picked up about 7 fish to my dad's one.....including 2 big browns and one bow that was about 16 inches. The difference maker was that green pat's stone, and the fish hit it readily untill we stopped about 7pm

Met two great twin brothers from Bozeman on a spring break fishing trip (lucky bastards!!!), talked fishing and enjoyed the evening

Today we got up and hit the same hole again, to find the river had def. gone up over night. Hooked into 2 nice bows in that hole before moving on.

The fish of the trip came as we explored upriver from there. Looking across the river my dad spied a nice deep run that had brown written all over it. First cast through it resulted in a nice fat approx. 17 inch brown....and as I gave my dad the camera to take a picture....whoops...out of my hands and back into the river before a shot was taken. I wish i had that shot to share....:eek:

The flows really jumped today about noon so we headed home.

Couple of pictures from the trip, although as the guy running the camera for the most part i was unable to take pictures of the really nice fish. Hope you enjoyed the report

Josh
  2. Calvin1 Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Thanks for the report, I'm heading out there this weekend. I'm hoping things will have settled back down into shape by then. We had 74 degrees in Helena yesterday which is unheard of.
  3. LT Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Sounds like a sweet trip! FishtoLive and I are headed that way in two weeks to fisht Rock and the B-Root. Thanks for the report!
  4. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    I'm heading over on the 23rd of this month and will be there through the 27th. Any intel would be appreciated. We'll be in a Dodge dually w/ a camper on the back. If you see us, stop by and say hi.

Jon
  5. Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Josh.
    Thanks for the report.
    And thanks for getting me to Rock Creek even if it was just for a few minutes while I read your report.

Bill Dodd.
  6. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +153 / 8
    First cast through it resulted in a nice fat approx. 17 inch brown....and as I gave my dad the camera to take a picture....whoops...out of my hands and back into the river before a shot was taken. I wish i had that shot to share....:eek:
    Couple of pictures from the trip, although as the guy running the camera for the most part i was unable to take pictures of the really nice fish.

Josh[/QUOTE]

How convenient for you... never any proof of the nice fish. I find that a little fishy! :confused: :D :rofl:
  7. dmoocher Member

Olympia, Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Glad to see the 'bows, I thought they were gone...I pounded Rock Creek last August for 5 straight days and never touched one...lots of beautiful browns made up for it though.
  8. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    Mikeeee......always giving me some sh*%t....its time we go fish brotha

Dmoocher...it was probably about 70/30 rainbows to browns....dont know why
  9. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +153 / 8
    Millsy,
    Glad to hear you and Pops had a great time. I still think your folks should adopt me so I can go on all these trips with you.