Rocky Ford is fishing good!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by jeubanks, Dec 7, 2008.

1. jeubanks

jeubanks New Member

I went over twice in the past two months and have caught fish at 25 and 26.5 inches! Time to go...use small beaded scuds and blood worms. You will lose about half the fish you hook, but it will be worth it.

Attached Files:

2. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    Were you there Saturday? I thought I saw you below the second parking lot.

3. KevenSamuelson

KevenSamuelson Member

Media:
    Great fish! Looks like you are really dialed in there.

4. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    C&R works best when the fish lays in the dirt first...

5. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Media:
    x2 on that one. Aint RF c&r only????

6. Runejl

Runejl Josh

Media:
    My favorite rocky ford method is to use a 1 ought treble hook with a couple split shot and yard it through the run. It really takes some skill to get them in the mouth though.

When playing these fish I like to walk them back up onto the bank. You can really avoid losing your setups by using 20# pound flouro.

Who needs salt and spices when you can use god's greatest seasonings, dirt and leaves. Filet and release is really the only way to go. It really is helping the brown trout population at Rocky Ford. Those fish do taste a little muddy though.

7. prosopium

prosopium Member

Do you find it neccessary to use flouro or could you get away with maybe just using 15 pound maxima?

Dragging these fish onto shore really freaks them out, especially in areas that have sand and pebbles, it reminds them of where they are from and how they lost their fins

8. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Wouldnt it be easier to use a spear gun?? Isnt RF good for sight fishing? You would not have to worry about breaking leader.

10. jeubanks

jeubanks New Member

yeah, it was Friday night and Saturday

11. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I don't usually chime in on these things, but I have to agree. Come on man! What were you thinking posting a pick like that on this site? I get ignorance but dear lord. I'm guessing by this point that you get the point. If not let me spell it out; do not drag your fish up onto the bank and take a pictue of them even if they are hatchery stocked fish!

Please find a way in the future to take your glory shots while the fish is in the water or just suspended above the water. If you are fishing alone, you may need to forgo the shot altogether.

If you need help with this I'll be happy to fish the Ford with you and show you how it is done. Check past posts by me and I assure you I can catch fish there.

Ira..

12. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Heck Tom when my brother and friends go over sight fishing is the way. Lay the rod down have your spotter point at the fish, you must enter water from below the fish then wade using your spotters keen sight and hand signals, then slowly reach into the water and tail the bastards!!!! You have to be careful at times because there are some large deep hole. I have been known to go over the tops on my waders a time or two. It is also less stressful on the fish and damn you are already in the water so dirt/rocks are no issue, plus releasing is not a problem because you are already in the water.

First time I had to get into the fun :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I too have learned my lesson on posting a pic on the site because the fish was in a net, oh my god a net, and it pissed a few fellas off. I think we all have a some misfortunes of fish coming out of our hands and falling onto a rock or trashing in shallow waters while trying to get the hook out of the fish, even that little squeeze to ensure you hand a hold of him and he looked like this :eek:. For those people you will never hear about it but they will be the first to open their mouth when a picture is posted. Hell just yesterday I watched a FLY FISHING show which showed numerous shots of mishandling fish. Now how many of you call or write the show to bust on them?? Anyone??

I do my damndest to take care of the fish

13. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Ya just can't please all the poeple all the time.
    As for wading in the Ford, ya got to be jokeing, right!!!!

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    You all know that they have rules for holding wild fish out of the water when fishing the west side river and the salt. One would think that the same rules should apply for wild trout caught over on the dry side..

Since I usually just fish alone. My hero shots are all in my head. I tried to take a few pictures by my lonesome but I ended up with the fish out of the water to long. So after I land one it gets unhooked and back into the water it goes. I don't need to prove anything to anybody. If My word isn't good enough. To hell with them all.

Jim

15. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Oh crap you cant wade in the Ford?????

16. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Oldman,

The fish in the Ford are far from wild. Most are stocked in there the size you end up catching them. Even so why mess more with the fish than need be?

Ira..

17. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

I love this site. You never know if someone is pulling your leg or telling the truth. That is what makes a good fisherman. You do not have to catch a fish to have a great story.

18. rwbailey05

rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Media:
    Anybody hit up Rocky Ford the past two weeks?

19. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I was there yesterday and the fishing was great, my hook setting sucked. Only C&Red one, broke off one, LDRed a couple more. Cloudy skies=hard to see.
    I didn't see anyone else catch a fish and there were plenty of other fishers.

20. Timsan

Timsan New Member

Rocky Ford needs to be closed for a year or two to clean it up.

First time I went there was when I was maybe 14 and it was a blast the first 2-3 times I have been, but the 4th and 5th time I was more aware of the garbage laying around and the fish that have been snagged and tired from being pulled around and played way too long.