Rocky Ford

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Greg Moore, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

Anyone out there have an update on Rocky Ford? A buddy and I are thinking about hitting this water next Friday if the weather will cooperate and keep the wind down. We don't mind rain / snow but freezing rain will make the communte tough. We're eastsiders so no trouble with passes and their weather. Any help on what the fish are taking would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you all have a great holiday season!

Greg

2. Peterp

Peterp New Member

Greg, Hate to tell tales, as I havent been out there in a Month, but at the moment, I am talking to guys who are total beginners who are telling me fish stories about RF. Well, they are true, they recently stocked it. So for a week or so more, a guy can probably go there and catch lots of fish on just about anything. Seriously, its good. This happens about every year at this time. Last year they stuck in a bunch of brood stock that were all around 5 to 6 lbs. This year, I am hearing that they are smaller but lots of them up to 20 inches. They will aclimate and it will slow down. From past years, the usual good stuff will work. Learn to fish scuds. Watch for hatches any time.
    I live just south at Potholes and its chilly today, but no snow. I do better on windy days if you can stand it. Funny when the water is warmer than the air, but that makes RF so special.
    Hey good luck
    Peter :pROFESSOR