Rod blanks

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by CaddisHatch15, Feb 4, 2005.

1. CaddisHatch15 Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Where is the best place to buy a rod blank, and with your experiences what has been the best rod for the buck?

Thanks,
    CH
  2. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    where you located? some local shops are pretty good. but hands down, no doubt, cabelas rod blanks are the best for the money. famous makers with cabelas brand, excellent customer service too. get the kit if you are new to this so you will have everything you need. next time you will have your own ideas. am i hinting that one rod won't be enough? don't know many people who can build just one. it's too good a deal and using a rod you made is so much better than storebought, you'll be back for more. make the small investment in a drying motor and wrapping stand. makes all the difference, esp the motor. :thumb:
  3. CaddisHatch15 Member

Bozeman, MT
    Thanks for the info! I'm from Vancouver, WA.

CH
  4. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    you might want to try a cabelas PT blank for your first just because its a bit cheaper. the SLi blanks are very fast action, great for casting, great for bigger fish. The FT and PT are more flexible and better for smaller fish and a bit harder to cast all day. Kind of depends on what you are after. a lot of progress in graphite rods are just to keep us buying, not necessarily better. almost any graphite rod will cast better than the old glass rods, although some still seek out the glass.
  5. willieboat Member

Lacey, WA
    You might want to swing by Angler's Workshop in Woodland. They have loads of blanks. If you are building for the first time, you will find that they have everything that you will need. You can visit their web site also.
    Plus, they are close to you.

Don
  6. firedog Member

Vancouver, WA, USA.
    As far as bang for your buck it is hard to beat Rainshadow. There are a few guys who deal in them on some of the Gear sites. I know a guy who used to sell them and still might be able to get you rainshadows for a decent price. Let me know if you want his info.
  7. Boondock Afoot and Lighthearted

Puyallup, Washington
    RAINSHADOW !!! excellent blank which makes an EXCELLENT flyrod. I'm building a 9ft 8wt RX8 right now, and it is SWEET. Mudhole Custom Tackle is selling Rainshadow blanks at 50% off. But the sizes, weights, and colors are limited.

The RX8's are pretty darn fast too... But the RX7's aren't too far behind.
  8. Northlake27 Member

Twisp wa, us.
    Try Greg's Custom Rods in Lake Stevens, good guy and very reasonable.
  9. Keith Hunter New Member

North Sound
    Actually, the Cabela's FT is a "fast action" rod. The SLi has a "moderate fast action". The FT feels stiffer than the SLi. They are both Generation III 44 million modulous blanks.

I have heard from several sources, including one at Cabelas, that the SLi and FT blanks are built by Loomis.

Keith
  10. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    hunter's right. i got my abrev's mixed up. the softer rods are the older custom and fish eagle II blanks. don't shortsell those blanks as they are a pleasure to play fish on, just harder to make long casts. if you are near angler's workshop i'd go there. get your blank where its cheapest and get help selecting components at angler's workshop. i used to get their catalog and the selection was great. i have also heard that loomis supplies cabelas with many of their blanks. greg's is great but i doubt you'll drive up from vancouver.
  11. East Fork Active Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    There is also a new rod building shop in Vancouver called OrDellar Rods. Their phone number is 904.3474. They are out in Hazel Dale. I haven't been there yet but its 20 miles closer than Woodland so its worth checking out.

:) :)

I have to add that I've built out a number of the cabela's FTs. They are a remarkable value. They are FAST. The 5 wt has become my default rod. The 6 is a great big wind / big fish rod. The 5wt pack rod is, strangely enough, too slow. I just finished my first SLi blank last night - my first reaction is that the action remains me of the old Sage RP blanks.
  12. Keith Hunter New Member

North Sound
    East Fork, which SLi blank did you build? I had the opportunity to try the SLi 9' 5wgt and 6wgt both in 4 pc. I liked them very much. They have a more traditional feel than the FT's, which are very modern (read: fast). I am thinking about building the SLi 5 wgt as a companion to the XP590.

I cast the FT 9' 5 wgt in the 4 pc and 5 pc. The 4 pc was a great, but the 5 pc was not for me. There was no butt. It was almost like there was a hinge just in front of the grip. Not good.

Before I cast them, I made the wrong assumption that the FT's were just like the GL3's. I have two GL3's. The FT's are better, certainly faster action and lighter, with a narrower taper in the tip.

Tony, have you ever tried a Cabela's PT? I bet they'd be a great dry fly rod and fun for making a medium size fish feel like lunker.

Keith
  13. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    I'll soon be building a 6th SLi. I think they may be the same as the GL3. I had two 8.5 #3's till i sat on the tip of one of them. I also have a 9' #10 and just mailed 2 more of those to friends in Alaska for sockeye. Those are my favorites of all the rods I've tried. There is plenty of stiffness for casting and a pretty flexible tip for smaller fish. I had little trouble handling 16-18 rainbows at Pass with the #3's. In fact I'm looking at a slower action rod for smaller fish as those #3's were not actually as light as I thought they'd be. My #5 doesn't see near as much action as it once did.

I have a PT 7' #3 which i love. I built it for my dad years ago, for small creek fishing, and it's probably the only rod i ever built with absolutely no errors. I inherited it about a year ago and used it last summer. I also have an older cabelas custom that's #3-4 7.5. It was also built for small streams, but lately I've used both of those rods for trolling flies in stillwater. Can't cast far but playing fish is worth it. I used the #3-4 very effectively on the BC end of the Skagit last fall and I've managed the MF with the 7' when the wind stays calm. The #5 I referenced above is built on a fish eagle II blank.

You can see I'm a cabelas fan. Used to build Fenwicks back in the 80's, but then made the switch. I've borrowed sages, winstons, loomis, st. croixs,etc. and some will cast a little farther, or feel a little different, but only a little, not hundreds of dollars different. There has been no improvement in graphite rods that compares to the differnce between glass and graphite. That was a real difference. Graphite has really just become stiffer to cast farther over the years, and i don't necessarily consider that better unless you just cast and never catch. once a fish is hooked i would much rather have a softer rod to play it. except of course for those damn chums.
  14. East Fork Active Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Hunter, I built out the 2 piece SLi 9' 5 weight. I like it a lot but I've only been able to cast it in the yard. Unforturately, I build it for a friend. Its going to be a tough one to give up so I may have to build one for myself. :) :)
  15. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    you know you did a good job if you want to keep the rod. :thumb:
  16. Keith Hunter New Member

North Sound
    The more I think about and read what you guys are writing, I think the SLi 9' 5 wgt is the way to go. How is the quality of the reel seats Cabela's offers in the kits?
    Keith
  17. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    had trouble with the graphite (cheap but durable) seat they sell, but generally they are ok. i would much prefer to buy the seat and handle where i can actually look at them. you can pick up some really nice seats off ebay, but you take some chances on quality. on the 9'#10 i found the nice cabelas wood insert seat had to be shaved mighty thin to fit on the large butt section. i've put it under tremendous stress on chum, sockeye and even a couple of chinook without problem, but i was worried initially that it would crack and wouldn't have sold or given it to anyone else. you won't save much money ordering those items from cabelas anyway. john's i everett or greg's in lake stevens are two places i know carry reel seats.
  18. Keith Hunter New Member

North Sound
    Tony,
    What was the problem with the woven graphite? Does it not hold the reel foot firmly?
    Thanks,
    Keith
  19. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    how did you guess? the hood space is not big enough to get the reel foot in enough. maybe imported and made for some tiny reel? anyway they don't work. would be very tough though which was what i was looking for in that case. :beathead:
  20. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    I work at the shop here in Lake Stevens and we have several inexpensive blanks to start from...stop by if you're ever in the area

:thumb: