Rod Breakage

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Sloan Craven, Nov 9, 2007.

1. jon, you would be wrong but i like the analogy.

a lot of valid points have been brought up. i do believe that less experienced user groups probably buy less expensive gear, hence more breakage in lower end rods through less experienced hands.
    And its also true that every rod has its breaking point.
    I believe i have been told that 90% of all breaks are from loose ferruls, which wouldnt suprise me at all. doesnt matter what kind of rod you have if there is a lot of stress on a poorly connected rod. BUT like we have been talkin about, some rods are more prone to breakage. Since people dont like me talkin about TFO, i will talk about Scott which for a while broke on us all the time. We'd use them for atlantic salmon fishing and would just have rods break for no particular reason. Mainly while casting, but i also had one crack very loudly when i set the hook on a nice 20+ fish that took a dry fly. Good rod, good company, bad design of their ferruls. Now i believe they have fixed this probelm but i havent fished a Scott in awhile to find out.

2. Scott Spey rods by any chance?

3. the ones we used on atlantics werent, but i have a close friend that broke quite a few of the Scott speys.

4. I own a couple Scotts (A2) and a TFO (pro model). Here are the latest wait times to get my broken rods back:

TFO: 6 business days. TFO will just send you back a new one.
    Scott: 10 weeks. Scott actually repairs your broken rod.

I broke every one of them by my own mistake so I can't really complain about the wait times from either company. I'll take exception for the really crappy TFO cork handles.

5. Knock on wood; but I've never broken one of my TFO's, Echo's, or Redington's. I have broken both Sage & Loomis, and they were all operator error. Any rod is breakable with abuse and neglect regardless of manufacture or cost.

6. I have fished all types and makes of fly rods. I have a fairly vast collection and have (do to my own incompetence) broken one or two. I own two TFO rods (an 8 weight and a 5 weight) both fish exceptionally well and throw as nice any rod I own.

While I think some of the points made here are relevant - I think many of you who have spent several hundred dollars on a rod are trying to justify your purchase. There is nothing wrong with wanting the best (or perceived best). If that works for you and it makes fishing more enjoyable fantastic. But don’t be fooled – TFO is the same in almost every detail as rods that cost hundreds of dollars more. What you are buying when you spend the big bucks is the warranty and the name.

This brings up a larger point. Our sport at times takes a bad rap about being too “snobby” or exclusionary. While I feel most people who fly fish (especially in the Puget Sound) do not fit this category, I have come across a few who obviously judge fishermen by their gear and not their catch. All I have to say is this sport is big enough for everyone who loves and respects it. Regardless of the cost of your gear – don’t put people down. Make room for them on the bank and wish them good luck.

7. Again imo, TFOs are Toyotas and $500+ rods are BMWs. Whats the point?

IMO, the best salt water rod "for the money" is the TFO Ticrx, caught 20+ 15lb+ salt water Chum without fail in the last 2 weeks.

8. THe point is .......I have noticed a recurring theme among people that fish the salt on the east coast and in the Gulf. They claim that TFOs seem prone to failure. I am trying to see how far this "pattern' goes. I own budget rods including TFO, ECHO, and Beulah. I am not knocking these or trying to make a point about budget rods or TFO. It is purely out of interest and there is no hidden agenda or passive-aggressive stance. I simply want to know if anyone sees a pattern of their larger weight TFOs breaking on saltwater species. I am sorry if that wasn't clear earlier.

9. I think you got off on a tangent and jumped on the wrong stump . . .

Sloan didn't say anything about costs of rods and breaking, etc.; I believe his inquiry and comment was pretty clear in that he was just asking if folks who fish in saltwater found a tendency for TFO rods to break more often than others. Had nothing to do with the price or rods or snobbery.

I've pulled on some pretty hard pulling fish in Baja with my TFO TiCr 10 weight with no issues. I had my 8 weight TiCr-X wrapped in an S-shape around my outboard shaft (I was cringing the whole time waiting for the explosion) while I was fighting a hefty coho down and dirty that juked one way then the other then the other . . . no breakage at all. I know of a guy in Florida that has caught many tarpon over 100 pounds on his TiCr 10 weight (not 12 weight, 10 weight).

Most rod breakages are angler caused or using the wrong tool for the job, and usually not product defects.

Also, respective to failures at ferrules; usually when that occurs it's because the ferrule has come loose and the angler has failed to inspect them during the course of the fishing day. When casting or catching a fish, the loose ferrule now has a point load instead of a distributed load (tight ferrule), excessively stressing the graphite at that point load and causing breakage. I'm guilty of this, having done it once. Some might argue this happens because the ferrule would come loose too easily; I believe it's still angler error, and the angler should check their ferrules regularly during a fishing day.

10. Let's try another analogy.

Rods are like golf clubs. I own a set of golf clubs, they are not new, and they are not all that special, but there are better than I will ever need. I'm just not good enough to tell the difference. That requires a higher degree of skill than I have.

Fly rods are the same. Most folks will never be able to appreciate the difference between an assembly line import TFO or ECHO and an American made G.Loomis or Sage. One that uses the highest strength to weight ratio and results in a lighter but equally strong rod. There is a difference between a high end rod and a low end rod, but most folks can't benefit from that performance difference.

So, we look to those few people that can see the difference, and we try to "be like Mike". Check out the 5 and 8 wt rod shootouts. http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/articles.asp

Jon

11. How does this relate to the initial question of, paraphrasing, "Do you think that TFO rods break more often than other brands of rods"?

12. Several times in this thread I've seen the "production line TFO" versus "American-made G. Loomis or Sage" comparison made. What in the world leads you to believe that Loomis and Sage are not "production line" rods? Take a tour of either of these factories some day and you'll discover a production line probably not too much different from any other rod-making operation anywhere in the world.

13. A little off topic, but I have toured both the Lamiglas and Loomis plants. Haven't toured the China plants though, so you could be right in that I can't say for certain the differences in manufacturing. I can tell you that cheap assembly line labor does not lend itself to true craftsmanship. I can also say that in touring G.Loomis, the folks there are craftsmen and women.

To answer Richard and his chuckle inducing sig, you're right, the initial question was do TFO rods break more often. The simple answer is that if you want to know if they break more often, put them all on a flex test and find out. That is not an indicator of whether a rod is a good rod. A rod builder I know has often said, "I can make a rod that won't break, but you wouldn't want to fish with it."

Folks had extolled the virtues of TFO in subsequent posts. If you want to know if TFO rods are a good rods, compare them to rods in the same class. High end rods are not in the same class.

Jon

14. I'm not looking to know if TFO is a good rod, just trying to see if anyone has noticed a pattern......:beathead:

15. GLX rods have more of a pattern for breaking than TFO rods imo. So personally I don't think there are enough break reports for it to be considered a "pattern".

I honestly hear more "Praise" than "Broken rod rants" on TFO rods. TFO rods ARE worth considering, cast them side by side with a GLX,XP or Xi2. Its a purchase that you won't regret at a 1/3 of the price.

16. I have 3 TFO TR Ci X rods 6, 8 and 12 wt and I have fished them hard in tropical salt with no problems. I have a Sage Xi2 10 wt that I have broken 3 times. One time I was run over by a kid riding a wave in a kayak which I can't blame on the rod. One time the rod broke where there was a nick caused by a Clauser. The 3rd time was due to one of the sections separating while I was casting. I love the Sage but I am now paranoid about it being too delicate. I am thinking of buying a TFO as a backup.

Thomas

17. I broke my spey rod on sunday as well,it is a burkheimer8141-4 classic.It fell to a large chum on the lower Elwah.Hooked one coho minutes before my day went bad.After draging in 30 yards of backing and line.I replayed the event and the rod just failed.It broke 4in. above the second stripping guide.Waters west is sending it back be mended.Anybody send a rod to Kerry lately?The shop said they cant get any rods because boeing bought all the grafite.So we are waiting.

18. I have a 6 weight GLX and an 8 weight GLX that have caught lots of coho, lots of trout, lots of bonefish, etc., and have logged lots of road and air miles. The 6 weight has been smacked several times by weighted flies, but it's still intact. Neither have broken. A buddy uses a 12 weight GLX for tarpon, and no breakage yet.

I know of many people who had issues with the EARLY model IMX rods being fragile, but I haven't heard that with GLX rods.

If money were no issue in rod purchase, I'd have a tough time choosing between Loomis GLX/Crosscurrent and Sage Z-Axis rods . . . with the GLX getting the final nod.

19. Pancho,

I had a '96 Mustang GT for about six years. Really fun car to drive.

I currently have a '95 BMW M3. It absolutely crushes the Mustang in every performance category.

I also "drive" a Sage XP 75% of the time, although I'm very fond of the way my Orvis Frequent Flyer drives too!

I'd like to point out that I only feel good about casting a six hundred dollar rod when I'm catching fish. I get the same feeling when catching fish on the much cheaper Orvis. Is the Sage higher performance in every way? Yes. But it doesn't make me feel better than any other rod.

20. Sorry sloan this is getting waaay off topic, hope this thread hasn't slowed down any critical decision making on TFOs,etc.
    Have you called TFO themselves and asked if very many rods were turned in due to premature breaking? Or even check out other fly sites throughout the country and ask for feedback response there as well.

Have fun.:thumb:

PS, I totally get your point Chad. :beer2:
    If I landed a 30lb steelhead on a ww griggs rod, would the reward be anymore if it was caught on a Sage Xi2, uh no.