Rod breakage

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Cuttbow82, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Cuttbow82 Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Today I was salmon fishing using my month old Sage Response 6wt rod. I've been struggling to get the hang of casting my shooting head line. Today I felt like I was finally getting the hang of double-hauling and getting the rod loaded. About 2pm, I had just completed a backcast and the rod felt fully loaded. I reefed forward to shoot the line and halfway through my haul there was a tremendous cracking noise and my rod snapped cleanly in the 2nd section (the one attached to the butt). I'm wondering if I was doing something wrong. Is it possible to overload the rod? Luckily Sage rods have lifetime warranty, so I will be able to get it repaired/replaced. I did have a backup rod, so was able to switch to that and actually caught and landed a nice pink hen with it.
  2. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +258 / 0
    I totalled my Sage Ones top section with a sloppy cast involving a Chum Baby. The bead head hit the rod just right and demolished the tip. Currently back at Sage being replaced/studied/genetically modified.
    I was as surprised as you, just a cracking sound and the tip went flying into the drink.
  3. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +393 / 0

Sounds along the lines of just a freak accident. What I would do if I were you is I would personally take your rod in, and also schedule a tour. That is what I will do if I ever need to.
  4. suckegg Active Member

Ellensburg, WA,
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    A guide was using my Sage 1 6 weight and the tip section broke fighting a 14" rainbow??? A friends Sage 1 6 weight snapped ( butt section!) on a hook set in BC recently a it was the third time it broke in less than year. I guess the upside to the premium pricing is they'll fix it for $50 and get it back to you in 21 days. We both use the rods with big streamers and I suspect rods this light are compromised when the fly hits the rod?
  5. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +288 / 1
    I have broken two rods one by hitting the rod with a heavy fly and the other by mishandling a salmon wth the tip up. Fortuantely, they were both wananteed and repaired at the minimum charge. Sometimes we just do some quirky movement that the rod gods don't like and snap one. That's why it's good to have a back-up along.
  6. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,116 / 0
    I've been lucky. I've never broken a rod on a salmon, a Dorado or any other fish. When our gang went to Baja on our Dorado fishing trip we were told be make sure we brought back up rods because broken rods were common when fighting the fish. Sure enough, my friend Rocky broke his 10 weight rod on a Dorado during the trip. He went back the next year and another Dorado broke his 12 weight.

I have, however, broke off the tip of a rod when I foolishly tried to take it in an outhouse with me because it was a very expensive new Sage (when they first started building rods) and I didn't want to leave it outside. I've also broken a rod while fishing the Lamar when I was rushing to enter my Explorer to avoid a black bear and her cubs. I broke another rod while taking it out of the rod tube at the Barns Holes on the Madison in YNP... how that happened is a mystery to me. I've also somehow broke a brand new rod when stringing it up the first time. A few years ago, I broke a rod while steelhead fishing when I fell on it as I attempted to climb down a slippery slope on the Siletz.

But nope, never broke one on a fish.

Untitled-1.jpg
    Greg Armstrong likes this.
  7. chief Active Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +96 / 1
    Rods break. If you fly fish long enough it will happen. It sounds like you didn't do anything wrong. Just applied a little more juice than the rod was capable of handling. Could have been a defect, could have been compromised from an unknown incident in the past, could have been the relationship of the earths rotation and the moon cycle. You probably couldn't repeat the situation if you tried. I'm glad you had a back up and were able to catch some fish. That is the lesson in this - always have a back up!
  8. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,157 / 1
    If you are roll casting to get the head of the line out and water hauling into the first false cast; the water haul can loosen rod sections over time.
    Just check them a few times throughout the day to insure they are still fitting together tightly.
    SF
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,116 / 0
    I'll go with the rotation of the earth and the cycle of the moon :D

I won't mention the name of the expensive rod company because some folks here love their products, but the high-end rod company gave me a hard time when I sent the rod back explaining it broke when I first strung it up. It seemed like a manufacturing defect to me but they didn't see it that way. I've never bought another one of their rods and never will.

The rod company for the not so expensive rod I fell on while steelhead fishing replaced the entire rod with no questions asked. I've bought three more of their rods.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  10. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +989 / 0
    I've broke the same rod twice, exactly how you described. I had/have a Sage launch six weight. Trying to cast the whole line and snap!! I sent it in with the fifty bucks, get it back and the same thing happened trying to punch only seventy feet out. It's still sitting in my garage, and I don't plan ongetting it repaired anytime soon, if ever. I have a feeling it will just break again in the middle of a double haul. A Sage fli is sitting right beside it that shattered while twisting the sections apart. I'll probably fix it.
  11. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +591 / 0
    I'm on my third break for my sage. Butt section under the cork went right away, then two tips. Zero breaks on my other rods. Them things are fragile.
  12. astrofisher Clear Skies

Tenino, Wa.
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Broke the tip off my Orvis 5wt pulling it out of the rod case. I had put the rod in the case with the fly still attached to the leader. Went to town to get some essentials (beer); came back to the river to continue fishing and the hook got snagged the case lining.

I didn't feel any tension on the rod when removing it. I heard a snap and looked down to see the tip had broke off about three inches down. I now remove the fly when putting it in the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  13. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +371 / 0
    A wise man once told me: "Sages are breaky."
  14. Hem Member

Three Forks, Mt.
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Had a snarl of leader around the tip of my Sage One yesterday,went to tug on it and failed to realize there was a solid knot instead.Snap! There goes 2 1/2 inches of the ten footer.First rod broken in 30 years.Easy fix,fortunately.Seems like the taper is a little thin on this 6 wght. towards the end.Lesson learned,...stupid impatience.
    John Paine likes this.