Rod Building kits at Cabela's

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Maurice "Mo" Miller, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Has anyone built a rod from a Cabela's kit? How did it turn out?

2. I've built 2 of them. the FT models in a 5 and 6 weight and both work perfectly fine. i haven't had any problems and they both have landed plenty of fish.

3. I built a 2 pc 5 weight that my kids bought me for Christmas last year it was in a kit form it was the first rod I have built in 30 years all the parts fit well and the instructions were complete. I have used it all all year and caught plenty of fish on it. It is a moderatly fast rod and I am completly satisfied I am going to buy a 3 weight and build it soon.
    jessejames

4. Do these kits come with everything you need?

5. Hey Jesse,
    Did you buy the "Fish Eagle" model? What other rods could you compare it to?

6. the kits generally come with everything except the tip top. don't know why, but that seems to be the case.

7. Cabelas rod building kits

The cabelas kit I built was the Fish Eagle GF905B a 5 weight 2 pc. everything was included in the kit. The tip top finish, threads everything,the instructions were more than adequate for a first timer. I would describe the rod as medium fast, it is obviously a budget rod but I haven't had any trouble casting either a sinking or floating line. It seems to handle the larger streamers or buggers in windy conditions on the eastern washingto lakes where I normally fish. By spending less of my small disposable income on the rods and reels I can fish a lot more days.
    Jesse Clark

8. I have built 7 rods using Cabelas kits. They are great for the money. My last is the 9 ft PT model, best rod I own. It is my Chopaka special!!