rod building tool

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by mike doughty, Apr 20, 2004.

1. i need to know the name of and where i can order the tool that pulls the guide wrapping thread underneath the wraps. i have been using mono. tied with a loop at one end, but every so often it breaks. i would like to find the proper tool if possable. if somebody can understand what i am trying to describe, then could somebody help me out?

2. when i build a rod, this is what i do

before you start the wrap, cut a 6" piece of thread off from the rest and set it aside. wrap whatever your wrapping. then, on the bottom side of the rod, opposite from the guide or whatever, make a loop in that "pull out thread" and tie it in, so when you pull it goes back away from the direction you were wrapping. 5 more wraps over it, thread it through, and pull. i know its hard to describe, but its what we have been doing

tom

as a side note: i think your adress was written wrong for the swap, in which case they should come back to me and iwll need to be remailed. i read your writing as being s instead of a on the last line, honest mistake. i think i did, not sure though

tom

3. so you use the same thread you are wrapping with? i wouldn't think that would be strong enough, but i will give it a try.

4. it is how we have always done it, and if you dont yank the hell out of it, it should hold fine

tom

5. At the Rodcrafters PNW Seminar last weekend, there was a nice discussion of this topic.

Some use thread (like me) others use mono, and some have gone on to using Gel-Spun. And the big secret was that Glide Floss is both made of Gel-Spun, flattened, and splittable.

Gel-spun is the hot ticket, as it is super slick and ultra strong.

Many make a loop and put a bead on it to find it quicker.

Rob