rod building

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ghettoflyfisherman, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Ghettoflyfisherman New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I would like to build my own rod and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good fly shop in the puget sound area(that specializes in rod building) or a good website. I already have one book on the subject by L.A. Garcia. I found it very informative. If anyone can reconmend any other books of value to me, please do so. Any help you can give i will use. thanks
  2. shrich New Member

Patrick's Fly Shop on Eastlake in Seattle has rod building supplies and also runs rod building classes (at least they used to).

If you live up north, Greg's Custom Tackle in Lake Stevens has everything you need and also has regulasr classes. Greg and his wife are great to do business with.

If you are in the south end, Schoff's tackle in Kent has what you'll need.

There are quite a few web sites that cater to rod builders, way too many to list here. Just do search or e-mail me privately.
  3. Ghettoflyfisherman New Member

Thanks Shrich for information, i'll have to visit one of those shops.
  4. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    One of the best resources for building is www.rodbuilder.org. You'll search far and wide to find a nicer bunch of folks. Their magazine is geared towards all types of rods, but the process is the same.
    Be warned, it's addictive and you'll probably spend more than you could buy a rod for. But if you enjoy it, the cost will spread out over time.
    Feel free to e-mail me...
  5. selthofer New Member

Schoff's Tackle in Kent. Been in business for years.
  6. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    ANGLERS WORKSHOP IN WOODLAND HAS IT ALL. THEY CAN SET YOU UP WITH ANYTHING YOU NEED. THEY HAVE GREAT KITS PUT TOGETHER, AND WILL CUSTOMIZE TO WHATEVER YOU WOULD LIKE. SHOFFS IS GOOD, BUT I WOULD DO THE DRIVE OR MAIL ORDER OUT OF ANGLERS WORKSHOP IF I HAD THE TIME... THEY HAVE A GREAT WEBSITE AND A FANTASTIC CATALOG...
  7. Ghettoflyfisherman New Member

I would like to thank every one for there 2 cent on the subject, I greatly appreciate it. All information will be put to good use. Thanks again :THUMBSUP