Rod finish

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by KMcFly, Oct 18, 2006.

1. KMcFly New Member

Wayland,Mass.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've been told by a buddy that its time to change my rod finish on my next project to Afcote.I've heard mostly good things,any thoughts?
  2. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Try it, see if you like it. Each of the rod finishes have their own little nuances, and it's all about preference. All of the premium finishes will all work well, but the application and long term "yellowing" will differ. You may want to pick up one of the version of RodBuilding and head over to Rodbuilding.com. They've got some folks who've done UV tests for yellowing on the various finishes, and all of the guys have tips and tricks for how to get the best most level finish.

Personally I've heard great stuff about the new ThreadMaster, but personally I use the Trondak stuff. To each his own.

-- Cheers
    -- James
  3. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    Or you might want to try rodbuilding.org, depending on what you're looking for...:p
  4. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Err, yeah, that site! :) I've had it bookmarked for so long I forgot what the URL was!!! :)
  5. luckybalbowa Member

Kamas, Utah
    I've tried threadmaster for the first time this year and was highly impressed. I feel no hesitation in fully endorsing that product.

Basically, its "the balls." :)

you can buy it at anglers workshop in woodland.
  6. KMcFly New Member

Wayland,Mass.
    Thanks guys, I'm going to try the Threadmaster
  7. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    So, why is this new stuff better than the old standby FlexCoat 2 part epoxy?
  8. luckybalbowa Member

Kamas, Utah
    It levels better, less probs with air bubbles, it doesnt yellow with age and the most noticable is how clear it is after it cures. Its pretty amazing stuff
  9. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    Hmm... maybe I should use that if I ever finish my 9 wt...
  10. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    Then, on another note, does anybody on the northern side of Seatac carry this stuff (the Lamar Threadmaster finish)?
  11. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    You might also try the Trondac products...that is what we use and we swear by them...

:cool: