rod guides

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by flytyingfred, Nov 25, 2011.

1. flytyingfred

flytyingfred New Member

hello again everyone. I want to say thanks again for your advice on wrapping the thread I now have that down pretty good. I now am experiencing another problem. The rod I am building is a 6ft 6in. 4pc 2 wt rod. It is very thin at the top and the guides are small I have finally been able to wrap them all the way after I figured out how to stabilize them on the rod. I had trouble getting them on the rod to begin with I tried rubber bands I cut masking tape very thin but it seemed that if I put the tape or whatever back far enough to be able to start my main wrapping that the front of the guide was too loose and would roll all over the blank and when I had it secured well there wasnt enough of the foot to start the wrap but I used my fly tying thread and was able to secure it but then when I had the whole single foot guide finished it was too loose and I could pull it right out. I tried to go tighter with the thread but it wouldnt go up the guide.This is making me crazy I am trying to get this done for a Christmas present and I dont know if I am going to make it. I also tried wrapping all the way behind the eye to see if that would make a difference but it still pulled loose. Again would appreciate any suggestions I am at my wits end been at this for 3 days almost solid and only have the hookkeeper and a few decorative wraps done. I had gone to the library here before i started but no rod building books. thanks in advance for any information

2. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    I would prep the guide with a small file or a dremel tool if you have one. What this does is make a ramp up the guide and makes for a easy transition up the guide foot from the blank.

I also sent you a link if you check your message box

3. North Sounder

North Sounder New Member

I file all the guides so there is a smooth transition from the blank to the guide.
    I also lightly heat the guide foot with a lighter then swipe it on the end of a glue stick then place the guide to
    the blank. The glue usually remains soft long enough to get the guide positioned where I want it.
    Works like a champ.

Tom

4. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    ya, it sounds like you need to grind down the guides.

5. Couleeflyfisher

Couleeflyfisher Member

Sounds like you may have two problems, using flytying thread and preping the guide foot. Most current guides from PacBay and other suppliers are ground with a good taper and pretty good, the old perfection guides were bad. Rod wrapping thread from Gudebrod and others is heavier, much easier to transition up the foot than fly tying thread. I generally use 1/8 or 1/16th masking tape for holding the guide. It's not rocket science, just takes patience and practice, Good Luck !!

6. Couleeflyfisher

Couleeflyfisher Member

Flytyingfred, after rereading your post I didn't answer your real question, how to lock in your guide from coming loose. Single foot guides need a locking wrap to make them secure. Rich Forhan has come up with the "forhan locking wrap", probably not the originator but it's the most popular way to secure single foots IMO. You can google "Forhan locking wrap" and get you tube plus other instructions, including some excellent step by step pictures to guide you. It's real simple and works. Good Luck !!!