Rod help Redington Wayfarer

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JRSly, Oct 28, 2002.

1. JRSly

JRSly Oncorhynchus clarki clarki

Media:
    Well, I was just wondering if anyone out there has ever used a Redington Wayfarer, and if you have what did you think. How long, and wt? I have been looking into them, I like the price a lot, and for a 5 piece, I think it will be a nice travel rod, nice to travel with (hike, and air). Well any info on this rod would be great, thanks in advance.

JRSly

2. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    I have a 5 weight, 9ft., 5 piece redington wayfarer. I bought it for an insanely low price on ebay. I'd describe the action as medium-fast.
    It's turned in to my favorite rod. I've taken it to canada for hike in fishing as well as some hikes in WA. It fits well in the water bottle holder on my backpack.
    I may have at one point broken it through my own laziness. Redington replaced it for free in record time. Gotta love that!
    Kaari

3. JRSly

Media:
    That's the kind of info I was hoping to hear. See I am planning on making a trip to Alaska this summer, and I was thinking for the price, and number of pieces it would make a great rod, because I will want a range of sizes if I make the trip. I was thinking of getting something like a 5, 7, and 10 WT in this model for the trip and future trips. I am also planning on making a trip into Idaho and Montana so the 5 pieces would be great because I will probably be doing a lot of hiking. Well thanks for the info, and keep it coming.

JRSly

4. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    I don't know if you read my reply post to "Rod Action Preference," but I mentioned there that I had compared the Wayfarer to another rod and found the Redington a little wanting. It's supposed to be a medium to fast action, but it didn't feel as crisp as the four-piece Temple Fork rod I ended up buying. Oddly, both rods were IM6 graphite, but I think the blanks might have been built differently.

I have flown with the TFO, as I purchased it in Baltimore, MD. Though I didn't actually fly it as a carry on, I felt it was well enough protected in the carrying case I bought for it and put it in my roller duffle bag. I suppose I could have carried it on, as the tube case was 36" and at the length limit that the airlines imposed.

If having that extra piece and shorter break-down length is important, then the Wayfarer might be the way to go. It does have a good price tag. However, if four pieces is adequate and an even lower price is what you are looking for, then the Temple Fork might be worth looking into.

One last thing. The Redington rod is made in the U.S., while the other is now built in Korea. That might be important to you. I neglected to double check this, as my 3 year old 6wt Temple Fork was made in the U.S.

5. Steelie L

Steelie L Member

6. Flyfisher14

Flyfisher14 New Member

Where can you find those rods. They sound pretty nice for when you are hiking and i have to hike into all my favorite fishing spots.

Michael

7. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Media:
    I have the 5 wt and 10 wt - like them both. Put some real muscle into the 10wt a few times in Cabo and was happy with the performance. Check www.danblanton.com for lots of talk about the TFO's - check his Australia gear guide thing.

Not all Redingtons are made in USA - I broke the 10wt and the replacement came with a Made in Korea sticker on the butt....

Jim

8. Steelie L

Steelie L Member

Got mine from REI.com.

9. JRSly

Media:
    Thanks again, that BuyersGuide helped a lot Steelie, thanks. It is kind of strange to look at, all the top rods were around a $500 range, and then there was the Redington for under $200. If I do get one, it wont be for a while because I just purchased a new reel, and I am not made of money, but I figure I might as well start looking. Plus, right now I am fishing with a Loomis 5wt, that I like a lot, and I just got done building a 8wt that I made from a Croix blank. They both are 2 pieces, and I am just looking for a travel rod for this summer, so I have a while. Well thanks, and if you have input, just keep it coming.

JRSly

10. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    I checked out the comments on the TFO's at Dan Blanton's site. I was surprised that someone liked their TFO better than the Sage RPL he also was using. Then again, Ed Kane at Tochterman's in Baltimore, where I bought my 8wt, told me that it was Lefty Kreh who clued him in on the excellence of the rod. My 6wt was purchased at Ruddick's Fly Shop up in Vancouver, B.C. at Kathy Ruddick's recommendation. The TFO is probably the most underratted fly rod out there. Also, more than once I've found fly shops tending to scorn Fly Fish America's gear recommendations, them noting that advertisers with the most space in that magazine tend to get the highest ratings for their merchandise. It was once expressed and demonstrated to me as an obvious ratio. :DUNNO