Rod Holders and "Batterys"

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by sportsman, Apr 10, 2014.

1. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    DSCF0975.JPG DSCF0976.JPG View attachment 40636 Rod holders are really Blue's design but to get the front 'Just Right', had trial runs on the water. Once they are glued they are part of the raft...almost. The batteries are from Batteryspec.com, wheelchair batteries and once again I got the idea from another member. With one major back surgery already I am one stupid move from needing the second, I am really careful about picking up anything heavy. It costs a little more to by small ones per Ampere hours, but it's worth it. I have four of these and if it's a big lake and a long day I take all 4. I keep the other 2 in the saddle bags. Funny thing about batteries: Ampere hours and their weight is almost linear. These are TD-14...14 amps and weigh 9.5 lbs. 1.4 to 1 ratio. If you weigh a 56 amp battery it is going to weigh just about 40 lbs. This holds true for AGM batteries and I think it's close enough for lead acid. So now I think I have answered all my IM's and posts. For New Owners: You buy a raft/pontoon and it's great...you can float in a lake or river. Transforming it into a fishing platform, well that's the fun part...and you get to make it just the way you want it. EDIT...not sure how I got 2 of the picture 'large' as such, not too computer savvy and somehow there is a picture of the 'Waterstrider I will be posting for sale in a couple weeks, just too hard to get in it anymore.

Attached Files:

Blue likes this.
  2. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +111 / 0

That is interesting on the closed cell batteries. I have a bunch but never used them on a motor, just sonar. How long do you get on one?
  3. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    Good question, hard to give a good answer. On big lakes moving around a lot, I use up 3 of them in a long day. I don't use the motor to fish unless bucking a wind....goes too fast. One lake I fish I'll make a run to the opposite end if the winds blowing, almost a mile distance. Just that run full bore will drain 1 battery. The company I mentioned might be out of buisness, but I bought Tempest TD-14-12 batteries for $25.00 each 5-6 years ago. Prices seem to have gone up 50%. I think they are called Armitron now. Somebody told me that their are only 3-4 battery Mfg's in the US...they just put different labels on them. Mine are AGM's: absorbed glass matt. SLA's are: sealed lead acid, I doubt if it makes much differnce in price or performance.