Rod Length for float tubing?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by trout bum, Mar 6, 2013.

1. trout bum

trout bum Member

Do you guys have a specific length rod that works best for you? Does it depend on what method you are using? I'm currently using a 9' but see others using longer rods.

2. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

I like a 9'6" or 10'. In 4wt or 5wt. And if im looking for Hog Jhonson and know he lives there I go with 9'6" 7wt. Hope this helps.:)

3. Islander

Islander Steve

Some guys like the extra length especially in a float tube. When I use my tube I still fish a 9' rod as that is what all my 5's 6's and 7's are, but I mostly use my pontoon boat. If you are doing ok with your 9' and aren't having any casting issues, I'd say just keep on using it. Unless you need an excuse to buy another rod. Then by all means, you need a longer one. :D

Mike Ediger, Irafly, jimmydub and 3 others like this.
  4. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I don't cast that well so it doesn't matter. I do like the 9'-6" and the 10'. I have cast the 8'6" 3 wt okay.

MB

5. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

The advantages in longer rods on lakes comes when fishing indicators.
    You need to lift the leader - flies almost all the way out of the water before you go to stroke your back cast so a longer rod helps a bunch. also there is an elbow in your line that has to be moved for the hook set so a longer rod will move more line = better hook sets. in a TUBE the higher you can get the pivot point of your cast above the water the longer your back cast can be before hitting the water behind you = longer casts.

The problem with me is I don't like 10 ft rods. to much rod to feel comfortable to me and a lot of torque on my arm. when going longer if you are not buying top of the line - rods start getting HEAVY maybe not a problem for you but something you might watch when researching. an average 10 ft. 6 wt. for larger lake trout will be close to 4 ounces, the weight of a lot of 8 wt. 9 fters.

I have fished out of tubes but hate it. I fish out of a drifter and my 5 wt. rods are 9' 3" and 9' - my 6 wts are 9' fast tip flex - 9' 6" soft full flex - and a 10 ft 6 wt. mid flex 8.0 and I never fish the 10 fter and plan on getting rid of it. the 9' 6" full flex is for indi's, you don't have to cast far and a soft rod just plain plays fish better than fast rods. the 9 fter is fast for throwing sinking lines and long dries and I do plan on up grading to a 9' 6" instead of a 9'

If it were me I would fish nothing but 9' 6" rods from a tube - a 10 fter if I liked that length. just a note that if you can cast a fast tip flex rod the pivot point is higher because the top third of the rod is the pivot point, the softer the rod the lower the pivot point. I just got my first tip flex (helios 9' 6 wt.) and I can't believe how high and different the pivot point is. I got a deal I could not pass up and the rod only weighs 2 3/4 ounce and will trade up to the 9' 6" 6 wt helios because it only weighs 2 5/8 ounce and both these models have the fighting butts which are usually heavier but at these lengths and weights I can use my index finger for casting like I always do on my 5 wts. The advantages are truly shocking with these super light new rods. be it sage or orvis or any other company. a six weight at 9' 6" that is like a light 5 wt is awesome!

Your excuse for another rod ;)

Nooksack Mac, Irafly and rankin76 like this.
  6. trout bum

trout bum Member

Right now I have a Z-Axis 9' 6wt. Being vertically challenged, rod lift has been a concern. Also having a bad casting shoulder doesn't help either. Thanks to everyone for the comments and advise. Maybe a longer rod might be in order?

7. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I do just fine fishing from a tube with rods 7' 6" to 9'. So do many of the people I fish with. If you are having casting problems that are not due to a physical disability then you need to look at your casting first and your rod length second. Having some uplift on your back cast goes a long way towards solving some tube casting problems. It will take a conscious effort at first but after a while it will become second nature.

TC

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

No tube, but I usually fish a 10' from my kayak.

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I do fine with 9's, but then it's easy for me cuz eyezgotzskilz ;)

10. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

Dang, sorry about the shoulder. My first thought was to suggest trying to hold your rod higher in the air during the cast and make a rod suggestion from there. But to compensate for a bad shoulder, I think it would be more helpful to focus on weight. You need a rod that can both lift line efficiently and keep it up throughout the cast, sometimes with weighty flies or indicator rigs, though. 4 weights just don't deliver meaty stuff the way a 6, or perhaps 7, weight do.

Anything between 9' and 10'6" is probably a pretty suitable for length out of a tube, but mass increases with length and line weight. Price also typically increases as the mass to line weight ratio increases. You might have to spend more to get the rod that will work best for you, something that strikes the right balance for you.

Great recommendation, I think a conscious effort to focus on your casting will make the biggest difference overall, and it won't cost you a thing. One nice thing from fishing out of a tube is that you can get closer to feeding fish. I like longer rods, though, because they take less time to cast more line, reduce the need for false casts for long casts, and can be the difference between nailing that distant cruiser and coming up short.

11. 5weight

5weight New Member

Media:
    I mostly fish a 9' 9" 5 weight that I also like for the casting advantage in the sitting position. A shorter 4 weight is sometimes used for shorter casts with small dry flies during hatches. The long rod is also my favorite beach rod.

12. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I am with you. In fact a lot of my rods are 7'. All I can say is, don't break your wrist. :)

Mark Mercer likes this.
  13. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    I've always used 8.5' and 9" rods without any problem from a tube including indicators, of course I can't cast a 40' leader sitting in a tube and don't think a longer rod would help anyway. If you want to cast leaders of that length standing up in a boat I think a longer rod would be helpful. I never use anything heavier than a 4wt, but thats probably do to the smaller lakes I fish.
    Like Blue said, just don't break your wrist.

14. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

What I noticed right away was where the poster was from - southern Oregon. so my first thought was Klamath lake rainbows along with agency lake and sprague. the number of fish from 4 to 12 pounds in klamath lake and also the other two is staggering. maybe why it didn't shock me that he posted using a 9' 6 WT. Z Axis.

I never really see reports from Washington of truly trophy trout fishing except maybe upper Columbia rainbows. there are so many lakes in Oregon that have rainbows over ten pounds along with browns to 20 pounds and bull's to well over 10 and so many fisheries where the normal trout start at 2 to 4 pounds and running into schools of nothing but 5 and 6 pounders is common and landing 8 to 10 pounders is just plain normal that I can see trout fishing meaning a whole different thing to other states trout fly fisherman! Here is a site from a stillwater guide in central Oregon and the fish he catches at a normal rate out of the res. and lakes he guides on. many times throwing 4 to 8 inch streamers from sleds and indicator fishing. lakes in the area with trout over ten pounds are so numerous that targeting smaller fish is just plain ??????
    Crane
    East
    Paulina
    Wickiup
    Lake Billy chinook

All these lakes within one hour of each other have either rainbows - browns or bulls going over 10 pounds and some going to 20!

The Williamson river Fly fishing has rainbows from Klamath lake from 4 to 12 pounds which is in the posters area. the lake I am going to over east in two weeks has native bows from 6 to 8 pounds and the hatchery bows go to 6 pounds and the bulls will go to ten pounds. I guess here in Oregon fly fisherman have a whole different view of trout fishing lakes, where a 6 wt. is a must. A long 6 is even better. A disc drag is better than a click and pawl. if you have ever hooked a 10 pound Cranebow you would wish you had a disc drag.

If you pull up the photo gallery he names the lakes and has photo's of the fish he catches around Bend Oregon. the same trophy fishing is had in southern Oregon. Eastern Oregon doesn't have as many truly trophy trout as both southern and central Oregon but I am on a two year journey to find just how big they get. I wont even take my 5 wts with me on this trip - way under gunned.

Central Oregon Fly Fishing Sunriver trophy trout bass reports

15. trout bum

trout bum Member

Mark, there ya go giving away our home waters but well said. ;) You guessed it..... Klamath, Crane, Wickiup, LBC etc, just some of my favorites. Don't forget Diamond is back on the map too. As you know from fishing the mentioned lakes, the wind can kick up at any given moment also. Now if only bass could grow as big as the ones in California

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  16. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Mark- you guys fish in a different league, for sure. My standard rods in the Columbia Basin lakes are a 9' 4wt for my indicator setup and 9' 5wts for my intermediate and fast sink lines. The typical fish is 16-17". A real big one is 22". I don't fish my 6's unless I'm traveling to ID/MT. Most of the places I fish out there the trout average 19-21" and go way up from there.

I'd sure like to explore some OR waters.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  17. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

You lost me at BASS GROWING BIG! I HATE BASS!!!
    but I did hit the like button for your post :)

18. trout bum

trout bum Member

LOL...at Davis bass are called ILLEGAL

19. B.Willis

B.Willis New Member

Mark, question for you about private land and waterfront in Oregon as I'm not familiar. I know that the high water mark on rivers is where the public stops and private begins, but is that really how it's enforced? The reason I'm asking is because I saw that there are many people that own huge chunks of riverfront down there. One place on the Williamson is saying they own 8 miles, calling it "private water" for their b&b/trophy fishing business. Based on my limited knowledge of the law, anybody can wade or drift the water so long as they don't pass the high water mark, right? Utah (where I currently live) is having a nasty fight on the same issue. Anglers marched on the capitol last month in protest to a bill that would give property owners full rights to the water, thereby keeping public from being able to use it at all. Pretty bogus if you ask me.

20. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

A few years ago or 10 they went over the same thing in Oregon and kinda revamped the land usage for public from the high water mark down. Now weather land owners will respect that law in remote areas is - well - a question. Owners have still been know to come down to the river and threaten people fishing, even with guns and it's advised to report them to authority's and not create a bad situation for both you and the owner. in the last 10 to 20 years so much good hunting and fishing lands are getting snatched up by out of state money and closed it's pathetic! bird hunting now in Oregon is a "RICH MANS SPORT" Whole valley's and river basins be purchased and closed for the elite. river frontage by the mile being sold like it was nothing to the citizens of the state. let alone some of the best big game areas in the state being sold and made private.

I just learned that the lake I'm going to next week that is 15 miles of gravel in and in the middle of nowhere, the river that dumps into it is all private except about 3/4 of a mile. bows to 8 pounds migrate up the river with specials regs but what the hell good does it do if there is no access. I have ran drift boats for almost 40 years for a reason!!!

I feel the worse for the young people of today - can't really blame them for sitting on the couch playing VIDEO games! I call it the California
    TAKE-OVER.

trout bum and bakerite like this.