Rod Length for float tubing?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by trout bum, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 8
    I realize this thread has taken another direction a bit, but I thought I would offer a couple thoughts.
    First, it is still preference regardless of the performance benefits. By that I mean I have tried 10' rods in 3wt, 4wt, and 5wt, and hated them all. Anything over 9' begins to feel tip heavy to me and I just never enjoyed casting them, even with different actions. So while a 10' rod might offer a performance or function benefit, I don't enjoy them, so I don't fish them.
    Second, if you have a bad shoulder (not sure of the issue) while some say a longer rod may make it easier for you to cast, the longer lever will also place more strain on your shoulder, even if you are false casting less frequently. I think giving someone with a bad shoulder a longer rod is just begging for trouble. This may not be the case for everyone, but in a generic case I would not think it wise to move in this direction.
    Just a couple random thoughts....
  2. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Well put Mike. I like the 10' (and Longer) for rivers with changing currents, but like you mentioned, they can feel tip heavy unless you go high end, or Tenkara;)
    Mike Ediger likes this.
  3. B.Willis New Member

Ratings: +14 / 0
    Well I wouldn't have a problem with someone pulling a gun on me on the river as I pack too (there's some big hungry critters where I fish) and if some good ol boy outshoots this paratrooper I deserve to die! :D It really is too bad so much public land is getting bought up and privatizing what should be everyone's to enjoy.

Sorry for thread jacking guys!