rod tip separateing while casting / rod weight

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by TB, Nov 6, 2011.

1. TB

TB Member

a couple years ago I bought a rod from overseas, through the internet. It turned out to be a nice rod, and I enjoy using it, but the top section of the 4-piece rod would fly off every once in a while. I contacted the company and they recommended I try wax on the ferrel, so I did, and that didn't work. I sent back the top two sections, per their request, and they sent a couple replacement sections to me. This didn't work either 'cause the two sections they sent me were for a 10' rod and mine is a 9' rod. They were apologetic when I told them, and sent me what I believe are the same two sections I sent them originally. The top section still flies of occasionally----but they told me to keep the two sections that they sent me before, that were the 10' rod sections. :beathead:

Q#1) I was thinking of spreading real thin some epoxy on the male ferrul that separates while casting, and sand it down to a tighter fit that won't separate. Do this sound like a good solution?

Q#2) I made a small 5' rod from the two top sections they told me to keep. I assume they are for a 5/6wt. rod, since that was the weight of the rod I originally bought from them that they were trying to fix, so it is probably still a 5/6 wt line I should use on it right?

2. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Active Member

Q#2-No the line wt will be more like a 2-3 wt. Anytime you shorten a rod from the butt you lighten the power and slow the action. This rod would now be a full flexing(slow) action rod.

Q#1- You might try Perma gloss or Lumiseal to do that. It will put less material on with each coat so you can get a more exact fit. You probably won't need more than two or three coats to build up to what you might need. Do you know where on the male ferrule it is loose? Otherwords when looking at the joint can you see a gap between the female and male junction? Or is it tight? If the gap is in the back you can try sanding with 600 gt paper the front of the male ferrule lightly to get a better fit. If it is tight at the junction you need to build up the front. I saw something in one of my Rodmaker mags about fixing this type of thing. I will try to go home tonight and find it. for you.

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Have you considered taping it? It may not look great, but it will be functional for a day of fishing.

4. TB

TB Member

No apparent gap or slop. Barely noticeable that it slips together looser than the other joints. It's noticeable that it comes apart a bit more readily though. (before fishing it I mean) Ferrules slip together about 2-2 1/2 inches, with scuffing marks on the male side, the entire joint.

5. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Media:
    Have you tried seating the sections together 45 degrees from having the guides aligned and twisting to alingment after the ferrule is fully seated?

Mike

6. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Active Member

I would probably just use Perma gloss or Lumiseal and with a coffee filter wipe down the male ferrule a couple of times till I get the fit that is desired. Both are extremely tough,thin layer finish that won't yellow or crack.